Gossip is just like murder
In the Bible, Matthew 19:18 Yashuah (Jesus) said thou shalt do no murder, take Webster's Dictionary definition of murder:
1. Murder: Is to kill (which is done by a killer)
2. Killer: One who kills, as an assassin (one who assassinates)
3. Assassinate: (a) to kill (b) to injury or destroy, as reputation
4. Assassination: (a) act of killing (b) act of injury or destroying, as reputation
5. Murderer: One who carries out all the above.
You can murder (destroy) a person's reputation with gossip, lies, deception. Anyone who repeats the gossip is an accessory to murder.
Usually the person doing this has a motive, such as hatred, revenge, cover-up for their own wrong doings. It's funny how people would walk across Texas to hear and repeat gossip, but would not walk across the street to say anything good about a person.