Illegal dumping continues to pose a problem

Posted: August 25, 2014 - 12:11pm
SUBMITTED PHOTO  Neighbors on South Mount Olive Road in Vilonia are looking for the previous owner of a sofa illegally dumped on their property last week.
SUBMITTED PHOTO Neighbors on South Mount Olive Road in Vilonia are looking for the previous owner of a sofa illegally dumped on their property last week.

Neighbors living at the end of South Mount Olive Road in Vilonia are on a mission to track down the culprit who dumped an outdated sofa and recliner on the side of the road just a hop, skip and a jump from their front doors.

The time frame of the crime, according to Angela Wilson, was between 3:40-4:30 p.m. on a weekday in broad daylight. She’s one of the five neighbors who live in the area. Wilson established the time frame because she was at her house the rest of the day and could have seen the person in the act if she had been there.

“We couldn’t believe our eyes,” said Angela Wilson. “The neighbors and I just didn’t know anything to do but gawk at it.”

According to Wilson, the neighbors have had their fill of being victims and they are taking a stand. Photos are being circulated with hopes that someone will recognize the living room furniture and squeal on the offender. Also the sheriff’s department has been alerted. The area, Wilson said, is a dumping place for not only trash but unwanted animals. Many of the animals, she said, were in a “bad condition,” and she has nursed them back to health.

“The week after the tornado, someone dropped off a treadmill,” she said, voicing her frustration.

Searching through some dumped trash bags a while back, law enforcement officers found names on mail and they dealt with that person.

Perhaps, Wilson said, those dumping are searching for a temporary dumping station that was once set up on S. Mt. Oliver after the 2011 tornado and illegally dump when they can’t find it.

“We live in the county and if we are dumped on, we have to clean it up and we have to pay for someone else’s problem,” Wilson said. “I wish they would think about that the next time they decide to get rid of something. That’s all. If they don’t want it at their place, I can’t help but think they would know we wouldn’t want it either. ”

Anyone with information should contact the sheriff’s department.

conwayville
conwayville 08/25/14 - 01:28 pm
there is a reason

Recently I had some construction done. There was some construction waste, as there always is when something is built on-site. We live in Faulkner county kind of between Greenbrier, Wooster, and Springhill, but we are not part of the city of Conway (thank goodness). I had loaded up the construction waste, which was 2 plastic trash bags full of bottles, cans, etc (no 2x4's, nails, or anything of the like...just the stuff that the builders threw out). I took the bags to the city landfill and was greeted by a nice lady who said that since my vehicle loaded with the bags was over a certain weight, and that since I did not live inside the city of Conway that I had to pay her $63 to dump 2 large trash bags (which were about 180 lbs total weight). I got to thinking after refusing to pay that much that perhaps I could find a local business that would allow me to throw the trash into their dumpster. I drove around for about an hour stopping at several different places; yet noone was willing to take it. I finally found a place who had no problem with it but by then I had already gone through 1/4 tank of diesel and wasted half the day. Even though it might have been cheaper to just pay the $63 at the landfill, I did not give them another dime of my hard-earned money.

Why, does one ask?

If half of you knew how the money is spent by the director, and how they treat folks out there, you wouldn't either.

So in conclusion, the landfill is for the city of Conway only. If you live outside the city and need to get rid of trash, the most convenient and least expensive way is to just drive out some back road and let it go. Now before any of you go badmouthing, perhaps think about those who are less fortunate. $60+ to dump a half pickup truck load of trash is beyond a lot of peoples' budget constraints.

Now I know the landfill isn't cheap to run. But it would be a little cheaper if the money were spent wisely as opposed to the way things are done now. And that is all I will say about it......

Diogenes
Diogenes 08/25/14 - 01:41 pm
Ask someone who lives in the city

To give you an old Conway corp bill next time.

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 08/25/14 - 02:14 pm
Wait

"Thank goodness" you don't live in Conway, where you could've dumped the trash at the landfill.

Then you show up in your dually, get miffed about the fee, and drive that slug around town to drop two bags of trash that apparently your contractor couldn't be bothered with?

Half a tank of gas, a weighty rig like yours, so you spent, say $50 plus wear and tear not to spend $63, leave alone the half-day of your life? (What's your time worth?) I'm thinking you're in about $75.

All due respect man, and props on your tenacity, but I'm not following the logic here.

mikeng1994 08/25/14 - 03:36 pm
Hold up just a second!!

She did not specify dually. It cold have been a 3/4 ton too, and it was just a 1/4 tank.

I actually get 20 mpg in mine with no trailer.

LONG LIVE ULTRA LOW SULFUR DIESEL and D.E.F.!!! Now even the tree huggers can drive a big truck with a clear conscious.

SWIBC
1950
SWIBC 08/25/14 - 02:59 pm
so bad mouth Conway, then get

so bad mouth Conway, then get upset when a City Run and City $$ maintained landfill charges more for non-residents, hmm cry a river I guess. Better yet go complain to Vilonia or Faulkner County and ask them to build a landfill so you don;t have to pollute the city air with your gas guzzler, instead of complaining that county has no dump which the city has no control over. Of course you have no problem advocating illegal dumping.

mikeng1994 08/25/14 - 03:39 pm
The correct term is diesel

The correct term is diesel fuels guzzler. Please try and be more politically correct.

mikeng1994 08/25/14 - 03:54 pm
Not sure why..

but in some parts of the state it is pronounced diesel frool.

tracking wolf
tracking wolf 08/25/14 - 04:42 pm
dump it in the city limits

dump it in the city limits next time.

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 08/25/14 - 04:16 pm
by the way...

Am I the only one struck by how diesel fuel prices went up when consumer diesel vehicles became so popular?

mikeng1994 08/25/14 - 04:26 pm

Also, whats up with the huge price difference from place to place. In Guy its 3.73, in Greenbrier is 3.73 to 3.85, Mapco in Conway is 3.61 there are stations in Little Rock in the 3.90's

Also for all the diesel drivers, Mapco sells D.E.F. at the pump. last I bought was 2.69/gal. vs. 11.00 for 2.5 gallons at Wal Mart.

And quit dumping your trash on the road side.