• Comment

Construction begins again on new Intermediate School

Posted: August 18, 2014 - 11:42am
Back | Next
CAPTION
CAPTION

The new Intermediate School scheduled to open in Vilonia this week, has gone from the demolition to rebuild and new construction, said Lance Wright, project manager for Nabholz Construction Services, addressing the Vilonia Board of Education on Aug. 11.

Built on South Mount Olive Road in Vilonia and scheduled to be completed in July, the $13 million school was destroyed by the April 27 tornado. In the four months since the tornado, Wright said work has been going on, but some of it may not have been observable.

“You are starting to see a lot of the more visible work,” Wright said. “A majority of the block walls are going up.”

He said the project is ahead of last year’s schedule and is anticipated to be ready for students a year from now.

Slabs are being inspected and concrete work is under way, Wright said. Also, the debris is being removed from the clock tower and the construction of it will be inspected.

The school, estimated to originally cost about $13 million, will serve students grades 4-6. It was built to hold about 900 students and was due to open this school year with 700-750 students. The Board of Education has approved naming the school after long-term superintendent Dr. Frank Mitchell.

The Nabholz Construction Company, had “builder’s risk” insurance that covered the downed building, allowing it to be rebuilt at no additional cost to the district.

The district’s insurance will cover the total costs of the damages on the other campuses with one single $1,000 deductible.

  • Comment