Watchful neighbor, quick victim foil vehicle break-in suspect

Posted: July 10, 2014 - 4:57pm
Christopher Stevens (Photo provided by CPD)
Christopher Stevens (Photo provided by CPD)

A watchful neighbor foiled a pre-dawn vehicle break-in on Wednesday and helped in arresting two alleged thieves.

Garret Cresswell, a 20-year-old contract roofer, was playing cards in his apartment with a friend at about 2 a.m. on Wednesday when a neighbor knocked on the door to tell him that somebody had gotten into his truck and carried something away from it.

“That’s when me and my friend came downstairs and saw them and chased them on foot down the street and caught up with the guys,” Cresswell said.

The two, one of which may have been acting as a “lookout,” Creswell said, gave him back a change jar that had been in his truck, and showed him where they had dropped receipts that were in it.

“One of them said he had a kid and kind of pleaded,” Creswell said. “They walked off. We walked back to the apartment, and my neighbor had already called the police. … The way I look at it, I know a lot of people who have a kid, and they work for their money.”

Police found a 20-year-old Conway man and 18-year-old Christopher W. Stevens in the area, and Stevens was arrested on suspicion of theft of property. The 20-year-old was questioned and released. According to La Tresha Woodruff, CPD’s public information officer, Stevens admitted involvement in three other vehicle break-ins in a police interview. There wasn't enough evidence to hold the 20-year-old at the time of the interview, Woodruff said, because it wasn't immedidately clear that he had broken into the vehicle.

mikeng1994 07/11/14 - 08:07 am
Anyone else see the irony of

Anyone else see the irony of his attire?

InsGuru
InsGuru 07/11/14 - 09:02 am
hahaha

Please let me buy you a beer sometime this weekend for that! haha

conwaygerl
conwaygerl 07/11/14 - 09:15 am
What?

I didn't know they arrested white guys.

Sincerely,
fsdjfsdjfsdj543543543543

InsGuru
InsGuru 07/11/14 - 09:32 am
yep

you get one too

sheniqua
sheniqua 07/11/14 - 09:39 am
affirmative action

apparently being a thief is an equal opportunity profession

Budnmud
Budnmud 07/11/14 - 09:32 am
This guy is

This guy will feel really cozy in lockup.... real cozy...

InsGuru
InsGuru 07/11/14 - 09:35 am
WOW WOW WOW!!!!

Look, we all need to remember, he MIGHT be innocent.

Geeze all you people presuming he's guilty just because the log cabin / booked posted his picture online. Geeze!

I'm so glad my job does not entail being the person who runs booked... I'd rather work at wal-mart for minimum wage... no wait, I mean hobby lobby.

conwaygerl
conwaygerl 07/11/14 - 10:10 am
one thing is sure

He's guilty of stealing Justin Beiber's hairstyle.

That should be a felony.

InsGuru
InsGuru 07/11/14 - 10:32 am
I thought the same thing

About the Biebs look alike factor.

I wonder how it would work if someone filed suit for libel / slander before their criminal trial, was found innocent, then finished up their civil suit saying "look at all these poeple on the log cabin thinking I'm guilty of a crime and a criminal because of the log cabin when I was innocent!"

The business practice of booked honestly makes me really question if whoever's running this paper took any sort of business law classes, because the risk just doesn't seem worth the reward.

PEARList
2016
PEARList 07/12/14 - 07:35 pm
"I wonder how it would work

"I wonder how it would work if someone filed suit for libel / slander"

It would work pretty quickly. The Cabin just posts pictures and the fact (fact) that the person was arrested. It makes no claims about their guilt or innocence. This kind of publication has been around for quite a while, and if there were some huge liability to the publishers I'm sure some great legal mind would have pulled it pretty quickly. The paper is reporting on facts, which is sort of their purpose.

I thought all of us, in our infinite internet wisdom and multitude of law degrees, decided on this issue long ago.