LCD carrier loses home in Sunday fire

Just days before the Thanksgiving Day holiday, one Faulkner County family lost everything. The home was declared a total loss after it was destroyed in a house fire Sunday afternoon.

MAYFLOWER — A Mayflower resident and his family lost their home and all their belongings in an afternoon house fire on Sunday.

 

The Pine Village Fire Department along with the Mayflower Police Department and Faulkner County Sheriff’s Office responded to the structure fire on 5 Paradise Road, which was the home of a Log Cabin Democrat carrier, shortly before 2 p.m. Sunday.

One Mayflower officer who responded said the porch was in flames when he arrived but that within a matter of minutes, the entire home was engulfed.

Keith Burford, a contractor who has delivered papers for the LCD for nearly five years, said he and his wife and son lost everything.

The three are currently staying with Jeanette and Westley Long, who are also LCD carriers.

“The Longs are like family to us,” Burford said Monday.

The American Red Cross is working to give aid to the family, who have themselves with nothing as Thanksgiving Day nears.

Burford said he and his wife are in need of shirts and jackets — women’s size 3XL and men’s size 5XLT.

Authorities believe the fire originated from electrical wiring on the porch.

While no humans were injured in the fire, Burford said his family lost their cat, Miss Kitty, in the flames.

Burford said he wanted to thank his neighbors for helping his family escape the home before it became engulfed.

The double-wide trailer Burford’s family lived in on Paradise Road was declared a total loss.

 

More

Wed, 12/13/2017 - 21:00

Roundabout: 12/14/17

HOLIDAY EVENTS

Read more
Wed, 12/13/2017 - 21:00

Yesterdays: 12/14/17

December 14

Read more