• The Conway Adult Education Center will award $2,000 in scholarships to four qualifying 2016-17 students, in the amount of $500 each. Those students interested in applying to receive the scholarships must meet eligibility and deadline requirements. Current students who apply will be chosen from video submissions. Students need to submit a video no longer than five minutes to CAECscholarship@usa.com.
1. These scholarships are open to Conway Adult Education Center students who have been enrolled (accrued 12 hours or more) during the 2016-17 program year.
2. The student must show a post-test in the 2016-17 program year.
3. The student must be enrolled in post-secondary education or training and show verifiable proof of enrollment.
4. The student must submit a video that is five minutes or less discussing their career plans, how they would use the scholarship and why they need it. (Creativity is encouraged).
5. All applications and videos are due by midnight Monday and should be emailed to CAECscholarship@usa.com.
Staff of the Conway Adult Education Center will vote on the videos, and the winners will be announced June 8 on Facebook.
• Choosing to Excel is participating in the Summer Food Service Program. Meals will be provided to all children without charge and are the same for all children regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability, and there will be no discrimination in the course of the meal service. Meals will be provided Monday-Friday at the Conway Ministry Center at 766 Harkrider, Conway. Breakfast will be served from 9-10 a.m. and lunch from 12:30-1 p.m.
• The Conway Community Band will host free public concerts at the Kris Allen Stage in Simon Park in downtown Conway. The concerts start at 7:30 p.m. June 9 and June 30. Guests can bring their lawn chair, a blanket or even a picnic. The community band is sponsored by Virco and hosted by the Conway Downtown Partnership. It also receives support through several other local corporate sponsors, including the Conway Area Chamber of Commerce and the Log Cabin Democrat. For more information, contact Ricky Brooks at 450-5764 or email@example.com; or Robin Ratliff at 450-4880 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The annual all-years Enola School reunion will be held Saturday, June 10, at the Enola school cafeteria in Enola. The reunion will begin at 11 a.m. with a potluck lunch at noon. Bring your favorite dish to share. Faculty, students, parents and friends are invited. Bring yearbooks, pictures and memories to share. For additional information, call Trudy Taber at 501-269-2543.
• Experimental Aircraft Association Chapter 1590 will host an Aircraft Swap Meet and Eats on June 10 at Poe’s Aerodrome, 234 Rooster Road. Gates open at 9 a.m. Lunch begins at 11:30 a.m. For more information, costs, etc., log onto www.1590.eaachapter.org or call Dan Davis at 501-472-1197.
• At 6 p.m. June 13, the Faulkner County Republican Women will host a Flag Day event at the Hilton Garden Inn in Conway. Guest speaker will be former Arkansas first lady Janet Huckabee. The annual event serves as a fundraiser for local Republican candidates and will include a silent and live auction. Limited tickets still are available. Call Fran Nichols at 501-680-0740 for more information.
• Danny Santos will be live in concert at the Faulkner County Library, 1900 Tyler St., on Tuesday, June 13, at 7 p.m. The event is open and free to the public.
• The Faulkner County Library, 1900 Tyler St., hosts a free writer’s workshop with singer-songwriter Kerry Grombacher to be followed by a concert, “Jumpstart Your Creativity.” The June 17 workshop begins at 10 a.m., followed by the 2 p.m. concert. The event is free and open to the public.
• Former Miss UCA, Miss Arkansas and runner-up to Miss America Lencola Sullivan will present an address at the Leadership Training For Women-Owned Businesses and Entrepreneurs on Tuesday, June 20, at 11:30 a.m. at the Conway Area Chamber of Commerce, 900 Oak St. The event is free and open to the public but an RSVP is required. For more information and to register, contact Angela Courtney at 870-538-4853 or email@example.com.
• The National Association of Active and Retired Federal Employees meets the first Friday of each month at 11 a.m. for a meal and meeting at noon at China Town Restaurant. All active and retired federal employees and their spouses are invited to attend. Call Ray Luyet at 501-327-7844 or Pam Allen at 501-327-8197.
• The Conway Parks and Recreation Department will host a showing of “Sing” as part of the Silver Moon Cinema series at The Village at Hendrix. The movie will begin around 8:30 p.m. or shortly after depending on cloud cover. Bring your favorite drink and candy along with your chairs or blanket and enjoy an outdoor movie provided by your Conway Parks and Recreation Department. Follow the parks department on Facebook for rainout information.
• Conway Farmers Market is now open each Saturday from 6:30 a.m. - noon at Antioch Baptist Church on Amity Road. The market also will be open for peak season Tuesdays and Thursdays through Aug. 17.
• Downtown Conway Farmers & Craft Market is open from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 1132 Front St. The market will be open Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays June through September.
• Haynes Ace Hardware in Conway will host a a Master Gardener Series about container potting from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the store, 1085 Morningside Drive. The event is free.
• The Conway Gun & Knife Show is set Saturday-Sunday at the Conway Expo Center, running 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday. The show will feature more than 400 tables. Admission is $10 for adults, and children under 12 are admitted free.