Taylor to run for State Representative

Posted: August 23, 2014 - 12:50pm

Local business owner Shannon Taylor has announced his candidacy for the Arkansas State House of Representatives in District 72. Arkansas District 72 includes east Conway and parts of the surrounding area.

Mr. Taylor is a successful business man who has over twenty years of experience in the energy industry. He received his Bachelor of Science in Management from John Brown University, a Christian university located in Siloam Springs, Arkansas. He then earned a Master of Science in Operations Management at the University of Arkansas, College of Engineering. Mr. Taylor believes, “Education is paramount to the health of our state; one should never stop learning.”

Shannon is married to his wonderful wife Crystal and has two young sons, Britton and Jaxon. The boys attend Conway Christian School where Shannon and Crystal actively volunteer. The Taylor family attends church at Church Alive in Conway and they are active with the kids in coaching sports including: Upward basketball and Arkansas Rush soccer.

“I’m stepping up to the plate as your Republican candidate to represent you, the great people of Faulkner County, because we need a common sense, conservative voice in Little Rock to fight for lower taxes while spurring job creation, reduce wasteful government spending, and strengthen our state’s education system. I’m here to serve my neighbors as our representative and I am willing to stand-up for what we believe in. Together we can make Arkansas a beacon of opportunity and bring more of the American Dream to Faulkner County.”

lachowsj
lachowsj 08/24/14 - 04:39 pm
The platform

I see you have laid out your platform in very general terms. May I ask a few questions for the sake of clarification?

1) Common sense--I'm all for what I think that is but what do you think it is? Does it mean not getting caught up in political philosophies and being willing to find commonalities across party lines?

2) Conservative voice--What kind of conservative? Is it socially conservative or libertarian?

3) Fight for lower taxes--That sounds libertarian, unless you want to lower taxes without cutting services, then it's just fiscally irresponsible. How do you plan to responsibly lower taxes?

4) Spurring job creation--That sounds good but how do you plan to do it? By cutting corporate taxes and taxes on the rich? I think we have seen that you don't spur job creation like that. Will you support the Affordable Care Act, which allows workers to change jobs without fear of losing their health care?

5) Reduce wasteful government spending--Please let me know where the waste is. And don't just say cutting out the fat. That's a cop-out.

6) Strengthen our state's education system--How? More money for teachers' salaries? Increased allocation to colleges? If you believe in public education, why are your children in a private school? Do you plan to drain public education spending by some sort of voucher scheme?

7) Stand up for what we believe in--Any chance that you will say what that is?

8) Make Arkansas a beacon of opportunity--I'm all for that. How do you plan to do it?

9) Bring more of the American Dream to Faulkner County--What is your definition of the American Dream? And how do you plan to bring whatever that is to Faulkner County? According to a Zogby poll in 2010, most Americans are pessimistic about the opportunities for working people to get ahead. Does your definition include working people or just the wealthy? And is it a part of your American Dream for individuals to be able to determine their own lifestyle? Does that dream extend to gays who wish to marry?

Thanks. I look forward to your response.

Diogenes
Diogenes 08/24/14 - 07:08 pm
LOL!!

Your reference to "our state" is obviously a term of endearment, because you live and vote in St Paul MN. If you don't like this guy, then I'm voting for him.

"Minnesota only has two kinds of people, liberals and Viking fans... I like the Viking fans"
-Larry the cable guy-

justoffcenter
justoffcenter 08/27/14 - 12:29 pm
You added a word not in his statement

"and strengthen our state’s education system"

My children all went to St. Joseph, which is part of the state's educational system. Being a part of the Catholic community in Conway is generally seen as a plus.

You added the word 'public' where it has only a share of the comment.

"If you believe in public education, why are your children in a private school?"

Elmer Fudd
Elmer Fudd 08/27/14 - 12:56 pm
justoffcenter

I share your positive view of the St. Joe school system. I grew up just a few blocks from the Church and School campus. Many of our friends were students at the school. All were quiet bright.

lachowsj
lachowsj 08/27/14 - 01:45 pm
To justoffcenter

When Taylor said he wished to strengthen our state's education system, I assumed he meant the system financed and run by the state (public schools) rather than educational institutions within the state. I could be wrong on that. I'm still waiting to hear from the candidate.

Elmer Fudd
Elmer Fudd 08/25/14 - 09:22 pm

I do not know the man at all and prior to voting for anyone I will dig into it. As for as being a Christian I have no problem with and for your leaning I do not know nor do I care. I will bet neither of you will behead a innocent American now would you? So civil people can get along. The monster that killed Mr. Foley has to die and he will.

mikeng1994 08/26/14 - 08:36 am
May God bless you each and

May God bless you each and every day.

mikeng1994 08/26/14 - 08:38 am
You're willing to suck up to

You're willing to suck up to Obama and he claims Christianity. You hypocritical tendencies make your arguments nothing more than joke material for Conservatives.

mikeng1994 08/27/14 - 09:55 am
With an alias like

With an alias like fdsjfsdjfsda543543543, and you want to be the spelling police?

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 08/27/14 - 10:48 am
Wait

"He is religious, therefore he is ....."

I'm pretty sure that's bigotry. Bigotry's wrong any way you cut it.

Meanwhile http://www.thechurchalive.org/#/about-us