• Comment

Conway Auction House moves to Markham

Posted: June 25, 2014 - 5:45pm
Back | Next
Dale Copeland, co-owner of Conway Auction House, practices his auction chant in the new location at 1120 Markham Street. Copeland is in the process of obtaining his auctioneering license from the Arkansas Auctioneers Licensing Board.
Dale Copeland, co-owner of Conway Auction House, practices his auction chant in the new location at 1120 Markham Street. Copeland is in the process of obtaining his auctioneering license from the Arkansas Auctioneers Licensing Board.

After learning their building at 713 Oak St. would be demolished to make way for MedExpress, the Conway Auction House began looking for a new location to hold their weekly sales.

Dale and Holli Copeland leased the space between Viki’s @ the Village and Layla’s Gyros & Pizzeria where they opened Oak Street Flea Market and Furniture Mall, and hosted the Conway Auction House each Thursday night.

“We got a call saying they weren’t going to renew the lease,” Holli said.

The Copelands couldn’t find a location large enough to house their auction business and flea market, so they decided to strictly focus on the Conway Auction House.

The Conway Auction House is now leasing the former Conway Wholesale Inc. warehouse at 1120 Markham St. with more than 4,000 square feet of open floor space for its weekly auctions.

“This location is larger, but we’re hoping in a few more years, we’ll need an even bigger building,” Holli said.

Conway Wholesale Inc. recently consolidated operations to the building next door at 1150 Markham St., Holli said; “it was perfect timing.”

The Copelands hosted their first auction in the new location June 5 selling a number of antiques, appliances, furniture, collectibles and home decor.

The Conway Auction House accepts items for auction each Friday, Monday and Tuesday from noon to 4 p.m. for their weekly sale each Thursday at 6:30 p.m.

The seller receives 75 percent of the final bid price with the Conway Auction House keeping the remaining 25 percent. Items are sold to the highest bidder.

Holli said she never knows what’s going to sell for the highest price, but neon beer signs have been an item that surprised her selling for as much as $100.

Antique equestrian equipment and a neon Busch Beer sign are some of the more unusual items among the furniture and home decor for sale at tonight’s auction.

The Copelands make their Thursday night auctions an event with a full concession stand and barbecue from Louis BBQ.

The Conway Auction House hosts consignment and estate auctions each Thursday at 6:30 p.m. at 1120 Markham St.

For more information call Dale at 501-54-9948 or visit www.facebook.com/ConwayAuctionHouse.

(Staff writer Michelle Corbet can be reached by email at michelle.corbet@thecabin.net or by phone at 505-1215. Send us your news at www.thecabin.net/submit)

  • Comment