McDaniel approves marijuana ballot wording

Posted: June 5, 2014 - 7:53am

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — The Arkansas attorney general's office has certified the wording of a ballot proposal that would legalize marijuana in Arkansas. The Wednesday opinion opens the way for the measure's sponsor, Robert L. Reed, to begin gathering petition signatures in hope of placing the measure on the ballot. According to the proposal, voters would decide whether to approve making it legal to grow and possess marijuana and all products derived from the cannabis plant. The measure would be a constitutional amendment, which means backers would have to gather 78,133 valid signatures of registered voters to win a spot on the November ballot.

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 06/05/14 - 09:32 am
What's that smell?

Is that the sickening-sweet smell of a Quorum Court meeting?

ucantbserious
ucantbserious 06/05/14 - 10:01 am
Hmm

I'll give Mr. Reed credit for being up-front with his intentions.

I respect that more than putting forward a proposal for "medicinal use marijuana" but leaving the wording so vague that it could be interpreted as full legalization.

Bad boy
Bad boy 06/06/14 - 09:05 am
shut up.

All people that haven't suffered being in a hospital bed or home bed for months on end should shut up. Those that have never suffered chronic pain should shut up. Those that haven't suffered cancer twice, heart attack twice because of birth defect, Lost a leg, almost an arm, and had around forty surgeries need to shut up. This is about compassionate health care and pain management. It's not about getting high and having a grand old time. All of the things I described above are what I went through. Your willing to deal with the alcohol why not pot. How would you feel if a family member went through that and became addicted to pain meds all the way to jail or death. I'm not dead yet. Been all the other. Everything above. Vote the way you feel. That is the honest thing to do. I wouldn't have respect for a person that didn't. Remember this. I didn't get addicts playing in a gutter, it was in hospital beds under the care of some of our best doctors.

mikeng1994 06/09/14 - 08:33 am
I agree

You need to shut up.

This is all about getting high for the heck of it., If it were not, then the measure would only address medicinal use only. If recreational use is passed, I hope it does not, but if it does, will there be similar laws restricting use as there is for alcohol? For example, with the be a public intox law for pot? Will there be restrictions so it can't be smoked in public? Will it still be tested for in work places?

This is nothing about medicinal use. So don't pi$$ on my back and tell me its raining. But then maybe you don't understand how the ballot proposal reads.

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 06/06/14 - 11:37 am
But seriously

Here's what's really interesting about this ballot initiative.

This could very well drive more left-leaning voters to the polls, which could in turn skew election results left in proudly conservative Arkansas. Getting the lefties out to vote has always been a problem, ditto young people, but this is something people feel strongly enough about where they'll go to the trouble to get registered and get their vote on.

You know what that leads to? Gay weddings.

Which leads to tastefully-decorated bungalows and antique prices skyrocketing.

These times, they are a changin'.

lachowsj
lachowsj 06/06/14 - 05:48 pm
The Bradley effect

This phenomenon took place in reverse in the California governor's race of 1982 where Democratic Mayor of LA Tom Bradley was favored to defeat Republican Attorney General George Deukmejian. Also on the ballot was an anti-gun initiative. Most political pundits believe the gun measure motivated conservatives to get out and vote and, while they were there, vote against Bradley, who ended up losing a close election.

reader
20112
reader 06/09/14 - 11:02 am
@Igor LOL! you are gonna give me a hernia!

I'll be darned I think you're right. I'm now a minister in the Universal Life Church and will be performing Gay Weddings in downtown Conway at the next Toad Suck Daze.

You may now refer to me as the Left Reverend Reader. I'm also investing in paint companies which specialize in Gay Home Decor so we can paint the town GAY!

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 06/09/14 - 11:11 am
btw

I, too, am a Reverend in that august discipline. Seriously.

ucantbserious
ucantbserious 06/09/14 - 11:16 am
Haven't you heard?

They're looking to boot Toad Suck Daze from downtown.

Clearly we need a Toad Suck Daze pride parade. ;)

reader
20112
reader 06/09/14 - 11:29 am
Great Idea

Let's combine them and call it Toad Suck Daze & Gays!