UCA says 'Time for a raise'

Posted: May 29, 2014 - 1:34pm

UCA will host a Board of Trustees meeting Friday morning. There are several items on the agenda ranging in scope.

The BOT will discuss in depth the proposed tuition increase for the 2014-15 year. Tuition will be raised for graduate from $235.96 per credit hour to $243.04, an increase of $7.08. Undergraduate students will see an increase as well from $191.50 per credit hour to $197.25. This represents an overall 3 percent increase and is expected to generate approximately $1.6 million additional revenue. The last increase in tuition occurred for the 2013-14 academic year and represented a 2.44 percent increase.

The increase in tuition will be used for a 2 percent overall salary increase for UCA faculty and staff.

Other increases in student fees will be discussed including, Student Activities Board funding and Global Education Project fund.

UCA will present the creation of seven new possible degree programs and minors including BS in Mathematics, MBA Programs for distance learning, MBA with concentration in Finance, MBA with concentration in Health Care Administration, Minor in Cognitive Neuroscience, Innovation and Entrepreneurship Minor, and a Sports Psychology Minor. These new programs anticipate attracting more students looking for specific concentrations.

As part of the action agenda, the board will discuss Board Policy No. 507 which inhibits the “possession, carrying, storage, or use of any handgun or firearm for any type is prohibited (a) on the university campus, (b) in any building owned or controlled by the university, and (c) at any university event,” said the Board Policy.

The Board of Trustees will meet at 10 a.m. Friday in Wingo Hall.

alipage72
alipage72 05/30/14 - 02:08 pm
ummmm no?

Seriously? Again? As someone who is paying for their own education, it would be nice if I could somewhat afford it! I guess now I'm going to have to travel to finish my degree. This stinks.

Elmer Fudd
Elmer Fudd 05/30/14 - 02:34 pm
Alipage 72

Your spot on. The free riders are the ones that tick me off. Take a look at the scholarship basketball players recently taken off of the ride for example. Student athletes my foot.

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 05/30/14 - 10:28 pm
What would be interesting

Is a graph, showing tuition hike against CPI, against faculty raises.

They _always_ say it's for faculty. At the same time tuition has been well outstripping inflation, and faculty salaries have not.

Seriously, some research here would be crazy-interesting.

sevenof400
sevenof400 05/30/14 - 11:18 pm
I would be curious to see UCA defend....

...their tuition increases that total over 700% in less than a generation.

ucantbserious
ucantbserious 06/02/14 - 03:34 pm
Yep

And how many ex-presidents are we still paying?

Elmer Fudd
Elmer Fudd 06/02/14 - 04:00 pm
One

could argue some jail time should haven been in place for one or more

lachowsj
lachowsj 06/02/14 - 09:11 pm
The old days

When I entered UCA the tuition was $150 per semester. I worked on campus and was paid the minimum wage of $1.60/hour. So, I was able to pay a semester's tuition by working 93.75 hours.

Today's tuition is $191.50 per hour or $2,872.50 for a 15 hour load. Federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour. A student working at that wage would have to work 396.3 hours to cover tuition.

It gets even worse when you consider I could take 16 or 18 hours at the same cost. For today's student, each additional hour is $191.50 more. Also, I paid various student activity fees but nothing like today's student who pays many fees I didn't, including Athletic Fee, Student Center/Recreation Fee, Facilities Fee, Fine/Performing Arts Fee, Technology Fee and Library Fee.

With no scholarship and no parental contribution, I was able to work 90 hours per month during the academic year and full-time at summer jobs and graduate completely debt free.

sevenof400
sevenof400 06/03/14 - 09:00 am
Just to add to that point....

..many work study awards top out around the $1,000 mark. In the current environment, it is not possible for a student to rely on work study to offset much of their tuition costs. Then there is the matter of room and board costs....

ucantbserious
ucantbserious 06/03/14 - 09:36 am
Agreed

"Education is supposed to be the great equalizer. Instead, as with so many things these days, the well-off are at a great advantage, with the disparity only widening generation to generation."

Agreed. Colleges are no longer focused on bettering society or educating the population. College is big business. Students are leaving school overwhelmed in student loan debt that takes them decades to repay.

alipage72
alipage72 06/03/14 - 09:06 am
This is what I am up against...

My costs

Fall 2010 Charges 7,502.00. Spring 2011 Charges 6,808.50. Fall 2011 8,022.00.
Here are the fees:
Testing Services Fee $5.00
Student Athletic Fee $221.00 (sad to say, I've never been to a game)
Student Co Op Education Fee $6.50
Library Fee $39.00
Facilities Fee $117.00
Writing/Retention Fee $4.55
Fine Performing Art Fee $26.00 (If I go to Reynold's for a performance I pay full price because I never remember about the half price deal for students)
HPER Hlth, PE, Rec Fee $97.50 (Been in it once for my KPED class, but I paid for that class, so that should cover it)
Health Sci/Edu Lab Fee $15.00
Nat Sci and Math Lab Fee $20.00
Nat Sci and Math Course Fee $75.00
Student Center Fee $55.25 (Walk through to get to the bookstore)
Student Technology Fee $97.50 (Not sure what this is)
Student Activity Fee $15.50 (Isn't this covered by all the other fees?)
Student Publication Fee $6.00
Student Radio Fee $5.00
Student Activity Board Fee $8.00
Student Health Services Fee $65.00 (I already pay for health coverage, why am I paying for this?)
Access and Security Fee $27.00

I have since been reduced to taking one or two per smemester since I am being priced out of attending full time. At my age, a degree is more of a 'nice to have' as opposed to a necessity, but I feel for these kids as I have 3 currently in college as well.