• Syndicate content

A day of remembrance

Posted: May 26, 2014 - 12:36pm

Memorial day is a time of remembrance. The fallen brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers, those most dear to us are honored on the hallowed grounds throughout the United States. Along with honoring the lives lost, we celebrate those still with us today and those serving at this time.

Monday at Oak Grove Cemetery, friends and family gathered to pay tribute to those who have served in the military ranks.

“We are here to honor our soldiers. They chose to fight not because they had to, but because they were will to lay their lives on the altar for freedom, liberty, and hope,” said Conway Mayor Tab Townsell.

Alongside Mayor Townsell were State Sen. Jason Rapert and other distinguished guests, but the day was to spotlight the soldiers. This tribute was achieved by a firing squad from the local VFW, who are volunteers and active VFW members in the Conway community.

Elmer Fudd
Elmer Fudd 05/26/14 - 02:09 pm
LCD Staff Writer

The VFW group is not a firing squad. They are a Honor Guard. They perform at veterans funerals and other veteran functions such as this day all over central Arkansas.

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 05/26/14 - 06:55 pm
Agreed

"Firing squad" is used to shoot somebody judged a criminal. I mean wow.

Elmer Fudd
Elmer Fudd 05/26/14 - 08:17 pm
Thanks

Igor. I was hoping for a correction. I guess not

lachowsj
lachowsj 05/26/14 - 08:21 pm
Mirriam-Webster definition

Firing Squad
1: a detachment detailed to fire volleys over the grave of one buried with military honors
2: a detachment detailed to carry out a sentence of death by shooting

Elmer Fudd
Elmer Fudd 05/26/14 - 09:22 pm
You

can be annoying sometimes. Some of us know the real difference so any idea what day it is?

lachowsj
lachowsj 05/27/14 - 06:52 am
Way back when

I once had a very strict grade school teacher. Sometimes if I got a word definition wrong, she would say, "You think you're smarter than Webster." So I go to Webster for my definitions now rather than speculate. I was pointing out why the LCD was not jumping in to make a "correction." Somehow from that you get that I am being disloyal to our fallen soldiers. I would call that annoying.

mikeng1994 05/27/14 - 10:37 am
Well, I was in for a pretty

Well, I was in for a pretty long time. 5 times in Iraq we had a 7 member HONOR GUARD deliver the sad 21 gun salute for friends that were in my unit, not a "firing squad".

That said, Webster is wrong in their opinion of what a firing squad is. I would suggest you not try and explain it to the families of the fallen or to a service member who have seen their friend give all. I believe they would have have 2 elegant words for you. Military slang "Foxtrot Yankee".

See if Webster can help you figure that one out.

justoffcenter
justoffcenter 05/27/14 - 11:19 am
Read this Lachowsky

Maybe you need to read this instead of M-W for the common meaning, as most news papers are written (not that LDC is a news paper). After all it was a military event.

Not this

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 05/27/14 - 01:02 pm
More to the point

The final arbitrator in this would be the AP Style Guide (although this newspaper might adhere to some other standard). I don't have access, so there you go.

Elmer Fudd
Elmer Fudd 05/27/14 - 01:33 pm
Igor

use what you wish however I know the group in the article and they call themselves a Honor Guard. This is about a specific event and group not a generic situation.