Police seeking info in apparent 'drive-by' shooting

Posted: May 6, 2014 - 3:36pm

Conway police are seeking information in what appears to be a “drive by” styled shooting early Monday morning.

According to a CPD incident report, Helen Street residents reported hearing several shots at around 5 a.m. on Monday. Some also reported seeing a red SUV, maybe a Ford, driving fast away from the scene, going west on College Street.

There were eight shots fired into the window of an apartment, six hitting a couch and two hitting the wall above the couch. No one was reported hurt.

Anyone with information is urged to call CPD’s anonymous tip line at 501-450-4135.

My Opinion
My Opinion 05/07/14 - 09:16 am
SAD

What has this city I have grown up in turned into?? It is not safe for me to live here anymore!!! It's so sad to see the crime rate rise so fast. I'm so sad this happens here. I know it happens other places too. I just need to find a place to live now where this kind of stuff DOES NOT happen!!! I'm sick of it and it needs to STOP!!! People are so cruel and filled with evil it breaks my heart for the honest hard working citizens in the town that are afraid to even go out at night. The population has grown so much we need a police officer on every corner of the town watching and trying to keep this stuff from happening. I hate it!!!!

InsGuru
InsGuru 05/07/14 - 10:48 am
8 shots?

only 8 shots? look for someone usign a bolt action rifle apparently.

"I just need to find a place to live now where this kind of stuff DOES NOT happen!!!"

Unfortunately, I think you'd have to move to a different planet.

"The population has grown so much we need a police officer on every corner of the town watching and trying to keep this stuff from happening."

Not sure if that's the answer, then there would've been 24+ shots into the house.

conwaygerl
conwaygerl 05/08/14 - 09:07 am
Elmer Fudd
Elmer Fudd 05/07/14 - 10:04 am
Opinion

you are so right about that. I also grew up in the area. Changed a lot however this is the same just about all over. So as far as another place I don't know. Even a snake showed up in Eden.

Baylor
Baylor 05/07/14 - 11:54 pm
Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor- Looks like you need to go back to the drawing board and retrain the CPD on crime prevention instead of harping about the FCSO. After you get an abysmal 30% of the vote, that is.

InsGuru
InsGuru 05/08/14 - 08:10 am
yeah

"retrain the CPD on crime prevention"

they're pretty well trained at crime creation and disturbing the peace in general. Lying on police reports during arrests, pulling people over without cause, blasting rounds through apartments, etc etc.

I'd just be happy if they were upheld to some sort of physical fitness standards. 90% of them don't look like they're catching a perp anytime soon even if they had seen the drive by shooters, had they fled on foot.

"It was a run by fruiting!"

lachowsj
lachowsj 05/08/14 - 08:24 am
Factors to consider

According to a US Dept. of Justice publication (found here: http://www.cops.usdoj.gov/Publications/e02072864.pdf) two major factors to consider in drive-by shootings are gang membership and gun availability, particularly among adolescents. Suggested strategies include gaining an understanding of local affiliations, rivalries and tensions among young people, conducting crackdowns (including obtaining court orders for search and seizure of illegal weapons) and targeting known individuals with past involvement in serious crime. It really boils down to local police knowing and being involved in the community.

BatmanandRobin
BatmanandRobin 05/09/14 - 10:27 am
Section 8

Helen Ave is one of Conway's finest Section 8 retirement communities.