Judicial candidate's one-day license suspension could impact candidacy

Posted: March 26, 2014 - 3:40pm

Circuit judge candidate Angela Byrd's license to practice law was suspended for one day this month, and that one day may come in conflict with her candidacy according to Amendment 80 of the state constitution.

Law license dues were due March 3, but the deadline was extended to March 5 due to ice and snow. Byrd did not pay the dues until March 7. Her license was suspended March 6 for nonpayment and was reinstated when she paid the following day, according to the Arkansas Supreme Court clerk's office.

Amendment 80, section 16 of the Arkansas Constitution states that "Circuit Judges shall have been licensed attorneys of this state for at least six years immediately preceding the date of assuming office."

Byrd was contacted by the Log Cabin and said she did not receive notice of a suspension.

According to the Arkansas Times, 6th Circuit Court candidate Valerie Bailey was disqualified earlier this month because her law license was suspended for a number of years, violating the six year rule. The Arkansas Times reports Bailey's license was suspended between 2002 and 2011 because she did not complete required legal education courses.

This story will be updated as more information comes out.

lachowsj
lachowsj 03/26/14 - 06:12 pm
Pretty harsh

Pretty harsh for what appears to be an oversight.

Protondecay123
Protondecay123 03/27/14 - 08:56 am
Lack of attention

To a very serious matter makes you wonder if the candidate is qualified to hold public office. Forgetting to renew your license to practice law? Really?

jw70
jw70 03/27/14 - 09:48 am
License Fees

I felt kinda stupid thinking I had misplaced mine, but the exact same thing happened to me this year. I think notices somehow didnt get to some recipients. They even had my correct address. At least I got mine paid before I was suspended.

Elmer Fudd
Elmer Fudd 03/27/14 - 11:05 am
Ummm

now where did I put my Lawyer jokes.

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 03/27/14 - 12:12 pm
Feels

I feel bad for her

libertas
libertas 03/28/14 - 06:45 pm
A little perspective?

You have a judge openly bragging about his bias and disdain for women that have appeared before him, other judges sacrificing the welfare of children to further their political ambition, and this is even an issue? Puhleeze....she is a good lawyer and has a good reputation which is a whole lot more than what Faulkner County has now (except for Judge Clawson).