The Oak Grove Cemetery Board has embarked on a major project, the construction of an in-ground columbarium area. Landscape architect Barry Williams of Crafton Tull is in charge of the design. This project has been in the works for some time, and as soon as plans are finalized, construction will begin. The columbarium garden is to be constructed southeast of the gazebo, which is located in the heart of the cemetery and was donated some years ago by the Robinette family.
Officers recently elected include Carol Powers, president; Jason Hansen, vice president; Chris Odom, treasurer; Brenda Collier, secretary. Former board member and president Chris Spatz is the voluntary cemetery manager. Patricia Thessing, immediate past president, remains involved in the planning and fundraising for the columbarium project. Board members serve five-year terms and are appointed by the Conway City Council. New members include Betty Cohen, Linda Rogers, and Shirley Merritt. Board membership is limited to seven.
Oak Grove Cemetery is a public cemetery, established in 1880. It is the final resting place for many prominent Conway citizens, including families such as the Donagheys, Harkriders, and Smiths, to name only a few. Doctors, attorneys, and veterans of at least seven wars are entombed here. The site covers more than 20 acres and the Original Section is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The cemetery, located at the east end of Bruce Street (adjacent to Cantrell Field), is open from dawn to dusk each day.
For additional information, visit www.oakgrovecemetery.net or call the cemetery manager at 501-428-6031.