• Syndicate content

Alcon set to become Mayflower police chief

Posted: January 16, 2014 - 1:59pm

Robert Alcon is set to take over as Mayflower Police Chief on Feb. 1.

Mayor Randy Holland said Alcon, who will take over for former chief Robert Satkowski, was selected by a search committee, which included aldermen Pat Hinson and Will Elder and Greenbrier Police Chief Gene Earnhart.

Alcon was previously with Arkansas State Police, Holland said. Sgt. Jeremy Hanson has served as interim chief during the search, Holland said.

According to Public Works Director Barbara Mathes, Satkowski resigned Sept. 29.

Holland said there was no specific reason for Satkowski’s resignation other than the longtime law man wanting to retire.

The resignation was announced to the Mayflower City Council, but a more public announcement was not “put out there,” Holland said.

Satkowski took office in February 2013 after the resignation of Billy Baker, who pleaded guilty to tampering the same month.

Satkowsiki, who brought 37 years of law enforcement experience, oversaw the police department’s handling of the March 29 oil spill, which sent more than 200,000 gallons of crude oil into the Northwoods subdivision and surrounding areas.

(Staff writer Lee Hogan can be reached by email at lee.hogan@thecabin.net or by phone at 505-1246. Follow Lee Hogan on Twitter at twitter.com/LCD_LeeHogan.)

JTElectric
JTElectric 01/17/14 - 10:00 am
Alcon Chief

I remember him from when he was chief at mayflower before. Is the Cabin going to find out the salary, and see if the Mayor really gave him a contract for five years- like the rumors are saying. How can any Chief get a contract like that

lightemup
lightemup 01/17/14 - 01:08 pm
It's not unheard of for a

It's not unheard of for a police chief to get a contract for five years. It's going to be great having a chief that can carry a weapon and is qualified to use it. This guy brings lots more than just a resume like the last chief.
Great job mayor!!!!!!!

JTElectric
JTElectric 01/17/14 - 08:01 pm
Article Dec 2, 2009 (log Cabin) on your new chief

Sgt. Robert Alcon Accused of Misconduct

A Vilonia man helping to deliver newspapers on the night of Nov. 25 claims that the off-duty acting Mayflower Police Chief acted inappropriately in approaching him with a drawn handgun.

Micky Paul Grissom, 30, said on Monday that he was helping his wife deliver the Log Cabin Democrat to homes on Green Meadows Road a few miles south of Vilonia when he used a residential driveway to turn around and, at about 10:30 p.m., stopped in a section of road about 200 yards away to move newspapers from the bed of the pickup truck into the cab.

“I stopped to get out of the truck (and) threw my papers from the back of the truck to the front,” Grissom said. “Next thing I know there’s a car flying up on me and I see that there’s little blue lights in the grill and a guy gets out and yells, ‘What are you doing?’ I tell him I’m delivering papers ... and I turn back and look and he’s got his gun drawn on me, and he’s telling me to get back around the back of the truck. He got up to me and he saw the papers and he said, ‘Man, you can’t be stopping in front of people’s houses without telling them what’s going on.”

Grissom filed a police report to this effect Tuesday with the Vilonia Police Department. In his written statement to Vilonia police, Grissom stated, “That was the first time I feared for my life, and it was because of an off-duty officer.”

Acting Mayflower Chief of Police Sgt. Robert Alcon released a written statement on Tuesday in response, claiming that he observed the vehicle in his driveway for about 25 to 30 seconds before the truck pulled out and proceeded east on Hwy. 107, stopping in the road near an adjacent residence.

“I went and put on some jeans and boots and got my pistol from its holster,” Alcon stated in this release. “The truck was still there when I went outside to get in my patrol car. As I pulled out from my driveway the truck pulled out and started to go east. This made me have even more reasonable suspicion that there may be some criminal activity going on. My probable cause to make the traffic stop was (that the) vehicle was stopped in the roadway, blocking it for more than 10 minutes. I turned on my blue lights and made the stop approximately 50 yards from where the truck was parked.

“The driver ... stepped from the truck and I had advised him to show me his hands. I had my flashlight in my left hand and my pistol in my right hand. I did raise my pistol at about a 45-degree angle. Once he showed me his hands I dropped the pistol back to my side and put it in the small of my back. I recognized the driver as someone I know from Vilonia, and apparently he knew me, because he called me by name Alcon. I asked him what he was doing, and he told me he was the paper carrier, and I advised OK that it was the Christmas season and there are a lot of break ins at this time of year. We shook hands, and I advised him to have a good night, he said for me to do the same.”

Grissom said on Tuesday that he was “looking at the barrel, and I could see a light right beside it and I saw barrel pointed at me.

“That’s the whole deal of a gun being pointed at me, I don’t like that,” he said. “Whether it was pointed at me or not, it’s like I told them at Vilonia, when we fear our protectors, what are we supposed to do?” He said again that he feared for his life during the incident, and thought that any loud noise might have caused Alcon to shoot him. He said that he “would go check if somebody was messing around my neighborhood, but I wouldn’t come out with my gun.”

Alcon maintained that he held his handgun at a 45-degree muzzle-down angle when he made contact with Grissom and put the weapon away once he saw the man’s hands.

“I had the gun at about a 45 (degree angle) just to see if he was armed, and even if I had the gun pointed at him it would have been normal procedure,” Alcon said. “It’s a dangerous job we do. I like going home at night. I don’t know what he expects us to do. I’m a police officer. I’m not just Joe public trying to see what’s going on. ... Was I supposed to walk up there with my hands empty?”

“I am a police officer that has a right to protect myself ... I was trying to protect my neighbors,” he said.

Alcon is deputized by Faulkner County Sheriff Karl Byrd, and Byrd said that his jurisdiction is countywide.

Byrd said that he didn’t want to comment on the issue because he didn’t know the exact circumstances, but said that, in general, “Any officer, off-duty or not, I would be extremely disappointed if something suspicious was going on in his neighborhood and he didn’t investigate it — take some initiative to look into some suspicious circumstances going on in his neighborhood.”

Vilonia Chief of Police Brad McNew said that he would turn the incident over to the 20th Judicial Prosecuting Attorney’s office for review.

Bad boy
Bad boy 01/18/14 - 06:45 am
Robert

I knew him before he was a police officer. Great guy. Honest. A little attitude but not to much. Will be a benifit to the community.

arkansas23
arkansas23 01/18/14 - 11:37 am
quick to judge

You may be quick to judge about a police officer or his actions but you don't think about how they protect you and your family or the fact that they put their life on the line everyday to protect. If you act like a criminal you could be treated like a criminal, they don't know who or what your intentions could be. I personally have respect for the all the police officers who put their life on the line everyday. Thank you for your service. Congratulations on the promotion. Maybe those who are so quick to judge officers should hold themselves to a higher standard instead of pointing the finger at others.

lightemup
lightemup 01/18/14 - 12:52 pm
JTElectric, I guess you've

JTElectric, I guess you've failed to make your point. Unless it's that you can copy and paste a news story about a police officer doing what he's trained to do.
Is there a point your trying to make? If so, why don't you use your own words and share.
Otherwise, why don't you just sit back and be thankful that there are people called law enforcement officers that are out 24 hours a day regardless of the conditions. And guess what..... They are even there to protect those who don't show them one bit of respect and appreciate them. Folks like you. I'm sure that will change the first time you need them there because of something you or a family member needs.

JTElectric
JTElectric 01/19/14 - 09:02 am
lightemup

I was just asking about the salary, and the contract...and found this. But judging by your name Light em up....you're a cop if there ever was one. So what is the salary going to be LCD? Can they report the facts of the chiefs hiring

Bad boy
Bad boy 01/20/14 - 10:14 am
Saying.

Lightemup is a comment I used to use back in the day. Never was a cop. Platoon Sargent was the handle I used when I was saying it.

lightemup
lightemup 01/20/14 - 09:53 am
JTElectric, there's no doubt

JTElectric, there's no doubt that you're a trouble maker. You're one of those people that want to try keeping crap stirred up all the time. The question you made on your first post was "How can any Chief get a contract like that."
I don't know what this guys pay is going to be or if there's a contract involved. I do know that I'm much more comfortable that our cities new police chief brings more than just a folder full of credentials. He is bringing REAL experience with his folder full of credentials.. He will be a qualified gun carrying chief that will be respected by the other officers because he can actually patrol and help out on calls. That's something the last guy couldn't do.

JTElectric
JTElectric 01/20/14 - 08:25 pm
I ask a question and Im a trouble maker- okay

just because you hired a chief that couldn't carry a gun last time is not my fault. He's still your mayor- right? I was just asking about the contract and salary....guess you guys like to keep things secret in Mayflower.