Coroner: Inmate died of hemorrhage

Posted: November 1, 2013 - 9:00pm

The death of an inmate at the Faulkner County Detention Center was of natural causes, according to county coroner Pat Moore.

David Mitchell Dollar of Greenbrier was found dead at about 2 a.m. on Aug. 20 in a cell that he had been placed in alone after detention officers suspected that he was having hallucinations. He had been arrested on suspicion of disorderly conduct on Aug. 17.

Moore said that Dollar, who was born in 1961, died of ruptured esophageal varices resulting from cirrhosis of the liver. This occurs when bloodflow through the liver is obstructed by cirrhosis, or scarring, of the liver tissue. Blood begins to “back up” into smaller blood vessels in the abdomen that aren’t capable of carrying this volume and pressure of blood. After a time one or more of them rupture causing a sudden hemorrhage of blood, usually from the blood vessels surrounding the esophagus.

In some cases involving small ruptures of these blood vessels, the disorder presents itself as blood coughed up or noticed in the stool, in which case it can be diagnosed and treated. In other cases there are no symptoms and death is unexpected and sudden.

Reports written by five jail employees reveal that the staff was concerned about Dollar’s safety in light of some odd, but nonviolent behavior and also concerned that he wasn’t eating, at one point leaving a tray of food in his cell longer than jail policy allows hoping that he would. He “said his stomach hurt” at around noon on Aug. 19 according to a report written by FCSO Lt. Pamela Carter, but the four other reporting officers mention no other complaints of sickness or bleeding from Dollar.

Moore said that a postmortem toxicology report did show evidence of narcotic use, but that this wasn’t directly related to the cause of death.

(Staff writer Joe Lamb can be reached by email at joe.lamb@thecabin.net or by phone at 505-1277. To comment on this and other stories in the Log Cabin, log on to www.thecabin.net. Send us your news at www.thecabin.net/submit)

Ann Duke
Ann Duke 11/02/13 - 08:25 am
Was the body?

Was the body sent to the Medical Examiner in Little Rock for an Autopsy, or did Mr. Moore send a sample of blood to the lab which determined that there was drugs in the system. Can Mr. Moore rule a cause of death if someone dies in Police custody? No. only a State Medical Examiner can do that. The Cabin was clear if the body was sent off or not.

Joe Taylor
Joe Taylor 11/02/13 - 08:52 am
Inmate Death

Based upon the Log Cabin story last week about required jail checks not being done, I would be interested in knowing if any jail checks were done after the inmate was placed in the cell he was found dead in. If the required number of jail checks were not done, were any employees disciplined for not complying with policy?

357 11/02/13 - 09:07 am
Understaffed . . .

Well, if they keep terminating entire shifts because they fail to follow policy but are too understaffed to actually adhere the policy, there won't be anybody left to oversee the inmates except the sheriff's staff and patrol deputies. Sounds like a challenging situation that is manifested by tight budgets.

Baylor
Baylor 11/02/13 - 07:03 pm
Joe Taylor

How can someone obtain a copy of the letter you received from the U.S. Attorney's Office? Is a copy still in your employee file? You know what I'm talking about don't you? The letter you and your Supervisors received that stated they (US Attorney's Office) wouldn't prosecute any case that your name was associated with because you had lied in federal court. Were you charged with perjury? Did you lie in Federal Court? Shifting gears a little, but we're you involved in an incident while off duty in Dumas, Arkansas where a man lost his life when you were a patrolman for the Dumas Police Department? I'm merely asking a few questions about your past since you are running for sheriff. Will the US Attorney's Office prosecute anything from the Sheriff's office if you're elected? Have you asked yourself that question? Is it true that you are basically representing (Unofficially of course since you aren't an attorney) all terminated employees of the FCSO? Are you giving them advice on how to cause the biggest stink possible for political gain? You should've listened to the advice of basically the entire Conway Police Department, and realized you have zero chance of being elected.

Ann Duke
Ann Duke 11/03/13 - 01:55 pm
This has the fingerprints

This comment has the fingerprints of Andy Shock and or Cody Hiland all over it!

Joe Taylor
Joe Taylor 11/02/13 - 07:55 pm
Letter

Baylor
If you think there is such a letter, then you should contact the U.S. Attorney's Office. I can tell you that I have never been banned from testifying in any court. I was even flown back from Iraq in 2008 to testify in federal court on a criminal case so not sure what you are referencing. I am not aware of any accident I have ever where anyone lost their life and hope I never am.

I am running for sheriff and you should ask questions of your candidates and elected officials. If you have anymore, please ask. If there is not a story online here that you can attach your questions to, you can email or meet me for coffee and I would be glad to answer your questions.

No, it is not true that I am basically representing all terminated employees of the FCSO. I think the terminated employees have done a satisfactory job in representing themselves.

I may have a zero chance of being elected or a 100% chance of being elected. That is what I like about this country. I can run for whatever office I want to. If you want to vote for me or my opponent, that is also your choice and I love that freedom as well..only thing I ask is that you vote. As a veteran having served in war, please don't take the freedoms you have, such as voting, for granted. God Bless the USA and our veterans. Thanks.

christyb
christyb 11/02/13 - 08:15 pm
our cororner

I have not been impressed with our coroner in YEARS!IN MY OPINION He just makes up things to put on death certificates when he doesn't know the cause of death. He doesn't even go out on most of the calls, unless there is going to be some good publicity for himself. And we are one out of two counties in the whole state of Arkansas who does not elect our coroner every two years... Instead he is appointed by our county judge.... that makes no sense. And he gets appointed every time (wonder what he has to do to make sure that happens!) with the people of Faulkner County having no say in the matter. It is time for a new coroner.... There are many things that I have heard about him and the way he conducts business but I wont go into all that here as I don't have the proof, just what I have heard. But my question is... How do we change it so that it is an elected position like it should be???

Ann Duke
Ann Duke 11/03/13 - 01:52 pm
More Faulkner County Crap

The Coroner is an elected office. So, why isn't this office ever up for election in Faulkner County?

Baylor
Baylor 11/02/13 - 11:33 pm
Joe Taylor

I just may do that. I know the sources I got this information from are very reliable (retired Conway Policeman) How did you become so hated by virtually everyone at the Conway Police Dept, besides just a handful of suck ups? I get a kick talking to the few I know when your name comes up. Evidentially you've been quite the unpopular supvr for a long time by going way overboard. Even to the point of having to be transferred, to keep from someone in the patrol division from killing you (not literally I would assume) Are you aware that with many sheriff races, there are usually a few debates? Lots of public speaking? I heard that public speaking is not a strength you possess. I hope you speak to a certain civic group, one of which I am a member of, so I can see this firsthand.

Ann Duke
Ann Duke 11/03/13 - 01:59 pm
Yep,

Yep, the fingerprints of Andy Shock and or Cody Hiland.