The two remaining positions of a nine-member committee that will assist Mayor Tab Townsell in the search for the Conway Fire Department’s next chief have been confirmed.
Townsell said in an email Friday that Carroll Bishop, Conway schools assistant superintendent, and Eric Kindsfater, Conway Regional Health Services director of safety and security, will complete the committee.
“Both of these gentleman will make great additions to the committee,” Townsell said.
Former chief Bart Castleberry announced his retirement in a June 24 letter to Townsell. The 20-year chief’s move was made effective July 12.
Brian Moix was named the department’s interim chief, a position he will hold until Castleberry’s permanent replacement is selected.
Townsell has said he expects the national search to take a “number of months” to complete.
The city has currently received 27 applicants for the position, including two from within the Conway Fire Department, and 12 from within the state.
Townsell said an initial meeting with the search committee is expected within the next few weeks.
The members of the search committee are as follows:
• Mark Ledbetter — Conway city council member and retired Conway Fire Department Assistant Chief
• Shelley Mehl — Conway city council member and VP of Advancement for UCA
• Scotty Bell — VP/GM of Conway Virco plant
• Everette Cornell Maltbia — Pastor of True Holiness Saints Center and Conway Civil Service Commission member
• Jerry Glover — Retiree and former Conway Civil Service commissioner
• Joyce Hardin — Biology professor at Hendrix, also served as Dean of Students and VP of Student Affairs
• Shelia Maxwell — Faulkner County Office of Emergency Management director
• Carroll Bishop — Conway School District assistant superintendent
• Eric Kindsfater — Conway Regional Health Services director of safety and security
(Staff writer Lee Hogan can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 505-1246. Follow Lee Hogan on Twitter at https://twitter.com/LCD_LeeHogan. To comment on this and other stories in the Log Cabin, log on to www.thecabin.net. Send us your news at www.thecabin.net/submit)