• Syndicate content

Man accused in Greenbrier drive-by pleads guilty

Posted: February 14, 2013 - 10:17am
Cale Emory Sears  FCSO
FCSO
Cale Emory Sears

A suspect accused in a drive-by shooting incident in Greenbrier entered a negotiated plea Friday in Faulkner County Circuit Court.

Cale Emory Sears, 27, of Greenbrier, pleaded guilty to two counts of discharge of a firearm from a car.

The charges stemmed from a Jul. 2011 incident at a residence on Arkansas Highway 285 East in Greenbrier, where police say a 49-year-old woman and her 23-year-old son were sitting on a porch outside of the home when they were struck several times by pellets.

According to a police report, Sears was a passenger in the vehicle at the time of the drive-by. The driver of the vehicle contacted authorities when he learned of the injured parties, telling police that Sears had gathered all of the shell casings and laughed about throwing two of them out on the street by the Greenbrier Police Department. Two 12-gauge shells were found in the area.

Both victims were treated at the scene and refused medical treatment at a hospital.

Judge Charles E. Clawson sentenced Sears to 120 months in the Arkansas Department of Corrections with an additional 240 months suspended imposition of sentence.

(Megan Reynolds is a staff writer and can be reached by phone at 501-505-1277 or by e-mail at megan.reynolds@thecabin.net. To comment on this story and others, visit www.thecabin.net.)

Comments (63)

i_wonder
i_wonder 02/14/13 - 10:27 am

that dude

is straight gangsta!

reader
reader 02/14/13 - 06:57 pm

ROFL

so that's what straight gangsta looks like. Now I know.

ucantbserious
ucantbserious 02/14/13 - 10:33 am

Hmm

I think part of his punishment should be community service where he drives around bustin' pellets in butts or sickos hanging around our parks.

Two birds.

i_wonder
i_wonder 02/14/13 - 01:06 pm

your idea

Is my valentine.

Zheking
2080
Zheking 02/14/13 - 10:39 am

It takes skill to hit with a

It takes skill to hit with a pellet gun from a moving vehicle... especially if it's the single shot red rider...

ucantbserious
ucantbserious 02/14/13 - 10:43 am

True

And having the compass in the stock is sure to help with navigation while driving.

i_wonder
i_wonder 02/14/13 - 10:43 am

my guess

is that it wasn't a pellet gun, but birdshot from a shotgun.

i.e. Dick Cheney.

arkansasobserver
arkansasobserver 02/14/13 - 11:45 am

Exactly my thoughts boy wonder!

"Discharge of a firearm from a car" doesn't describe a pellet gun, but more likely a shotgun.

Committing a felony with a firearm should require this perp to serve his full sentence with no possibility of parole, and without any suspension of sentence. I'm not a judge, and don't play one on TV, so I won't question the sentence but I sure hope this sentence is harsher than an assault committed without a firearm.

Seamus
Seamus 02/14/13 - 06:28 pm

Judge Roy Bean, my fellow villagers

You should run for office. Maybe even as a legislator so that we can get all of these "soft on crime" pansies out of office. You and I must be the only 2 people alive who have it all figured out. I bet the prosecutor and judge don't even take into account the possibility of parole when they decide how many years to offer and approve on a plea deal!

Anyway, I gotta go now...it's time to ride the train over here at the Conway Human Development Center. I get to be the conductor today.

Zheking
2080
Zheking 02/14/13 - 11:55 am

"Discharge of a firearm from

"Discharge of a firearm from a car" sounds a little light though to be shooting at people with shotguns.... Eh who knows. Guess the only way to really find out is read the police report.

This kid's lucky though. Had that happened to me (or several other people I know), fire would of been returned.