Gov. Beebe suggests abortion bill unconstitutional

Posted: February 4, 2013 - 12:13pm
rkansas Gov. Mike Beebe comments on the upcoming legislative session outside the governors office at the Arkansas state Capitol in Little Rock Jan. 14, 2013.   (AP Photo/Danny Johnston)
(AP Photo/Danny Johnston)

LITTLE ROCK — Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe says his office's preliminary research suggests a proposal to ban most abortions in the state is unconstitutional but isn't ready to say whether he opposes the legislation.

Beebe said Monday his office is still researching the legality of the proposal to ban most abortions if a heartbeat is detected but said the early research suggests it would have constitutional problems. The Senate last week approved the measure, which would ban abortions as early as six weeks into a pregnancy.

Beebe said his office is also researching the legality of two other abortion measures. One would ban abortions at 20 weeks into a pregnancy and the other would ban insurers in the exchange created under the federal health care law from covering abortions.

New Kid in Town
New Kid in Town 02/04/13 - 12:31 pm
Uh

Duh!

What attorneys advised the signers of this bill that it had a prayer of holding up in court? The ONLY outcome of this bill is/was forcing the state to pay unnecessary court costs. Sometimes good leadership is being honest with your constituents about what is possible, Mr. Rapert.

Terri Powers 02/04/13 - 01:24 pm
Uh Duh!

You took the words right out of my mouth.

BuzzBy
BuzzBy 02/04/13 - 02:45 pm
Leave It Alone

I am so tired of this one issuse and having to here it all my life.

If a person want to use abortion as a from of birth control there is nothing you can do to stop them.

Now if they can't decide in 5 month whether they want a baby or not then we have a problem. I don't have a problem limiting late term abortions to only in the case of mother's life out ruling babies life.

krg2
krg2 02/04/13 - 09:41 pm
"OK people at some point you

"OK people at some point you have to realize regardless of your religious beliefs. You can't make someone have a baby because you think that they should have to pay for their sin. All you will do is put 2 lives in danger and they will go back to getting clothe hanger abortiions."

Another wow...I completely agree.

The inevitable outcome of religious zealots overturning Roe v. Wade is that they will be forcing a woman to have a baby. Yet all we hear is their constant whining about stopping government from intruding into their private business. Guess guns are personal but our wombs are the public's business. Hypocrites...stupid hypocrites at that.

faulknerwatchdog
faulknerwatchdog 02/04/13 - 03:25 pm
Just sayin'

Excuse me, but I believe the Constitution guarantees "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" to all people. The question isn't whether killing a human is "Constitutional" or not, but it seems to me the question is, "what constitutes a human?" If you're not pronounced dead till your heart stops beating, wouldn't it be logical to say you're pronounced alive when it starts beating?

i_wonder
i_wonder 02/04/13 - 03:27 pm
BINGO

Fetus= the only "clump of cells" in the known universe with a pulse.

BlueCollar
BlueCollar 02/04/13 - 04:10 pm
Good one clownhat. However

Good one clownhat. However their argument to you will be about the mother.

It's kinda like telling someone,"the sky is blue" and their response is "your wrong, the grass is green"

BlueCollar
BlueCollar 02/04/13 - 04:48 pm

Go ahead and thumbs down without saying anything. I don't hear any of the pro-abortion advocates on this board stating their belief on when life begins. Are you afraid to say? Are you afraid to decide because if it is before birth you couldn't possibly support abortion?

If I believe life begins at the sound of a heartbeat or anytime before, there is no way I could support the abortion outside the bill's guidelines. It has nothing to do with the mother, doctor, or any politics. It has to do with someone taking the life of another human being.

We accept laws that tell us we can't speed, we can't park more than 2 hours in a specific spot, we have to wear our seat belt. You guys are arguing that the life of an unborn child can be thrown away because the mother wants to? (that's the view of life at conception believers)

Pro-abortion fights for the mother. Pro lifers can't begin to consider the mother since they are fighting for a baby. All the arguing from totally different perspectives is a waste of breath.....or finger strokes.

crypted quill
crypted quill 02/04/13 - 05:44 pm
"...I don't hear any of the

"...I don't hear any of the pro-abortion advocates on this board stating their belief on when life begins."

Just for the sake of argument, I know I will regret it.
According to the bible -- A fetus is not a living person with a soul until after drawing its first breath.

Genesis 2:7,
He “breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and it was then that the man became a living being”.

Job 33:4,
“The spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.”

Exodus 21:22 'if a man causes a woman to have a miscarriage, he shall be fined; however, if the woman dies then he will be put to death.'
...
So, destroying a living fetus does not equate to killing a living human being even though the fetus has the potential of becoming a human being.

Just because you want to believe all liberals are baby killers, why can't you believe all conservatives want your babies to grow up to fight and bomb foreign babies?

HUMMMM?

BlueCollar
BlueCollar 02/04/13 - 06:23 pm
cq

I never mentioned the Bible or liberals anywhere in my post nor did I accuse someone of being "baby killers".

Ok, so quill believes a fetus is not a living human until birth. Even though it sustains a heartbeat, has detectable brain activity, and scientifically proven to feel pain long before birth.

We disagree on when life begins, so therefore it is pointless for you and I to argue over the abortion issue, since you will argue for the woman and I would argue for, in my belief, a totally different person.