Residents invited to fly flags at half staff for fallen officer

Posted: February 2, 2013 - 12:18pm

Conway Mayor Tab Townsell has invited all Conway residents who wish to fly their flags at half staff to do so starting Saturday and continuing until Wednesday at sunset. The gesture would be to honor fallen Conway Police Officer William McGary.

McGary died Friday from injuries suffered when he was struck by a vehicle while directing traffic on Dave Ward Drive. For more on that story, see here.

McGary's funeral is set for Wednesday. More information will come when it is made available.

Seamus
Seamus 02/02/13 - 01:32 pm
What if I don't own a boat?

Can I fly the flag in front of my house at half STAFF?

Seamus
Seamus 02/02/13 - 02:25 pm
Oh great and all-knowing Wikipedia

"In the US, the term "half-mast" is commonly used colloquially to refer to half-staff, although US law and military tradition indicate that "half-mast" is generally reserved to usage aboard a ship, where flags are typically flown from masts."

Colloquially, as defined by Merriam Webster: "used in or characteristic of familiar and informal conversation; also : unacceptably informal."

I didn't go to journalism school, but I don't think newspapers should print stories in colloquial speak.

That being said, the story was fixed, and it was mostly just a playful jab.

my girl friday
my girl friday 02/02/13 - 02:36 pm
Seamus

Your comment was not funny nor was appreciated. A young man died in the line of duty. He was doing his job and he paid the
ultimate sacrifice. You disgust me.

Seamus
Seamus 02/02/13 - 02:46 pm
I would say...

that you disgust me, but your avatar really gets me in the feels.

i_wonder
i_wonder 02/02/13 - 03:57 pm
dictionary...get one and read number 3

mast[mast, mahst]
noun
1.Nautical .
a. a spar or structure rising above the hull and upper portions of a ship or boat to hold sails, spars, rigging, booms, signals, etc., at some point on the fore-and-aft line, as a foremast or mainmast.
b. any of a number of individual spars composing such a structure, as a topmast supported on trestletrees at the head of a lower mast.
c. any of various portions of a single spar that are beside particular sails, as a top-gallant mast and royal mast formed as a single spar.

2. Also called pillar. the upright support of a jib crane.

3. any upright pole, as a support for an aerial, a post in certain cranes, etc.

Seamus
Seamus 02/02/13 - 07:03 pm
"Upright pole, as a support for an aerial?"...

...or a "post in certain cranes?" So you're resorting to the THIRD definition of mast? Hahaha.

I guess you got me. I'm heading off to find a cell phone tower or a boom crane to hang a flag at half-mast then. Anyone know of any large construction sites in town?

i_wonder
i_wonder 02/02/13 - 10:04 pm

Half mast is the term describing flying a flag below the summit of the flagpole (mast).

"So you're resorting to the THIRD definition of mast? "

Says the guy spliting hairs over the difference between half-mast and half-staff.

ARBEAR
ARBEAR 02/03/13 - 11:52 am
shame on iwonder

Again, iwonder is posting more unnecessary, disrespectful and snarky comments at the expense of officer McGary's death.

Iwonder, please show some respect for the grieving family and friends of this officer by resisting the temptation to post more inappropriate commentary.

Shame on you iwonder.

i_wonder
i_wonder 02/03/13 - 05:42 pm
shame on me

sure,

when are you going to say shame on the driver?

ever?

didn't think so.

Heck, you're probably related to him or friends with him and this is your distraction.