Texas Tech 42, UCA 35. Final

Many wish lists remain as Angel Tree efforts near deadline

Posted: December 12, 2012 - 8:49pm
Katie Horne selects a child's wish list on the angel tree at the Log Cabin Democrat office Wednesday. Fifty-three children have yet to be sponsored for Christmas. COURTNEY SPRADLIN PHOTO

A significant number of children’s wish lists remain on the Angel Tree at the Log Cabin Democrat offices with the deadline for Christmas delivery looming.

Project Angel Tree is sponsored by the Conway Noon Optimist Club. 2012 efforts began with some 572 wish lists. Now 53 remain.

Wish lists are collected by CAPCA, Inc. for needy children ranging from infants to 14 years old. The recipients are income-verified and the organization also compares recipients’ names to other holiday lists to prevent the duplication of services by other charitable organizations.

The suggested gift value is $40. Several of the children are asking basic necessities, including clothing and shoes. Others are seeking educational toys or video games.

Ted, 12, is asking for clothing and an art set. Kyla, 3, wishes for a Baby Alive and Hello Kitty Big Wheel.

Project participation is lower this year, said Noon Optimist Club member and Project Angel Tree chairman Cynthia Crabb, who attributed the large number of remaining Angels to the recommitment of donations by previous corporate sponsors.

“In the past, many of these children were sponsored by a few local corporations that have committed to other charitable causes this holiday season,” Crabb said. “We would love a corporate sponsor to come forward and take on some of these lists.”

No time to shop? Don’t worry, Crabb said. The Noon Optimist Club has a lengthy list of volunteers willing to shop on your behalf.

“Anyone can make a donation to the organization or on behalf of a child and we will take care of the shopping for them,” Crabb said.

The deadline to drop off wish list items has been extended to Monday for weekend shopping, given the large number of remaining Angels.

Angels can be selected from a Christmas tree inside the lobby of the Log Cabin Democrat between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. through Friday.

(Megan Reynolds is a staff writer and can be reached by phone at 505-1277 or by e-mail at megan.reynolds@thecabin.net. Follow us on Twitter @LCDonline.)

MessiahAndrw
MessiahAndrw 12/12/12 - 10:42 pm
I hope they get adopted - I

I hope they get adopted - I don't like the thought of any child going without Christmas.

I adopted an angel from Walmart when the program started, and it seems like the list continues to grow. We have a Christmas angel program at work (I did it myself at Walmart before I discovered they did it at work) and each week we get about 20 new angels added.

Megan Reynolds
Megan Reynolds 12/13/12 - 11:50 am
Donations

I've gotten a few calls on donations to the Noon Optimist Club this morning and I should clarify that an employee and club member is here to accept your checks, payable to the club, at the Log Cabin.

Trin
Trin 12/14/12 - 07:58 am
These kids all deserve to be

These kids all deserve to be cared for this Christmas and have gifts to open like everybody else.......but I will say that last year when we tried to do the Angel Tree thing, we were disappointed to see that all the gifts listed on the 'want' list of kids were multi-hundred dollar items (i.e iPod Touch, PS3, etc. etc.). They should really only allow the lists to contain items that everybody can AFFORD to buy.......otherwise some poor kids might go with nothing.

i_wonder
i_wonder 12/14/12 - 10:46 am
so

Do what I do, skip those and go for the really needy kids. You can tell who they are by listing needed clothing sizes and small toys, not 60-inch 3D LED TVs.

Trin
Trin 12/14/12 - 02:37 pm
yeah the last time we got

yeah the last time we got there late, and there were only about three left on the tree. They all had listed stuff that was way too expensive for me to buy........

MessiahAndrw
MessiahAndrw 12/14/12 - 05:05 pm
I personally find it sad when

I personally find it sad when a 2 year old has "TracFone Minutes" on their wish list. I understand the parents may need it, but not under the false pretense of giving your child a Christmas.

Hennysmom
Hennysmom 12/14/12 - 09:31 pm
Poor kids

Angel Tree kids want the same things all kids want.