Duke named Editor of Log Cabin Democrat

Posted: December 6, 2012 - 11:30am

Richard Duke, who has served as interim editor for the past three months, will take over the position permanently, Log Cabin Democrat Publisher Alan English announced Thursday.

“Ricky is approachable and dynamic, seeing new ways of reporting to keep readers informed,” English said. “His understanding of what a community newspaper can and should do to thrive in print and in a digital world is exactly what we need.”

Duke has 16 years of experience in publishing, working in various roles for the Benton Courier, the Cabot Star-Herald and the Pine Bluff Commercial. He has been with the Log Cabin for a year. He had primarily been covering city and county government for the Log Cabin.

Duke is from Jonesboro and is a graduate of Baylor University.

"I welcome the challenges that this position brings," Duke said. "I love Conway and the way this community has grown. I also see growth in the paper through so many avenues, and it is my job to see that we do our best to provide Faulkner County with information that is newsworthy, accurate and above all important.

"What excites me most is how forward-thinking everyone is at the Log Cabin. We have been at the forefront in digital information, and we will continue to pursue new ways to provide news in a timely and accurate fashion as well as remember our traditional packaging."

BuzzBy
BuzzBy 12/06/12 - 11:37 am
SO

Is this an upgrade from Rick to Ricky or a downgrade?!?!?!?

Only time will tell is my guess.

It is all about the user clicks used to be the motto by Rick.

BearFan4
1960
BearFan4 12/06/12 - 01:41 pm
No offense to Duke (or English)

But anyone would be an upgrade from Fahr.

Zweck
Zweck 12/06/12 - 11:39 am
Congrats!

Congrats!

Sarah Allen
Sarah Allen 12/06/12 - 11:41 am
Congratulations Christmas

Congratulations Christmas Ricky!!

BearFan4
1960
BearFan4 12/06/12 - 12:28 pm
Good luck Richard

Please give the paper the attention it deserves before it is published.

arkansasobserver
arkansasobserver 12/06/12 - 12:56 pm
Alan English makes his first mistake

I don't know Richard, but I know his work from his blog and comments made on this forum. I find him ignorant of world affairs, to have a clearly and reliable liberal tilt, and reliably consistent on both points. I suspect that Crypted Quill may even be his pen name (:-). For me, he has never contributed to my quest for knowledge as delivered by LCD. Those who question my opinion can still review his blog and draw their own conclusions. For me, I'm not impressed with this choice, where there are several better columnists to choose from. Perhaps the name Rick is his qualification. But hey, it's only my opinion as an outside Observer.

And I disagree with the comment about Rick Fahr. I found him to be honest and open about why things were done a certain way, and about his own faults. No way to judge his performance as a manager, but I always learned something from his posts.

crypted quill
crypted quill 12/06/12 - 01:38 pm
LOL How would you know Arky,

LOL

How would you know Arky, you "ignore" all my comments...right?

Good luck Richard...it's a thankless job, for sure.

Sleepless sympathy in Conwayattle.

"were sitting on top of this armored personnel carrier, dressed up like Nazis..." -- Sam Baldwin

Megan Reynolds
Megan Reynolds 12/06/12 - 01:28 pm
It is worth mentioning...

That Ricky is not replacement to Rick Fahr. The post Rick held was the position of publisher, now filled by Alan English.The last working editor we employed was Whit Jones.

Congrats to Ricky. I have the utmost confidence in his ability to lead our news team and to make our paper, both print and online, even better.

BearFan4
1960
BearFan4 12/06/12 - 01:36 pm
It's also worth mentioning

It's also worth mentioning that at one point Fahr was both the publisher and the editor. Dire times indeed.

arkansasobserver
arkansasobserver 12/06/12 - 02:51 pm
Hello Megan

From my perspective you would have been a much better choice. I suspect time will rectify this mistake and things will be set right.