Mayflower police chief suspended in connection with fraud investigation

Posted: October 18, 2012 - 3:39pm

Mayflower Police Chief Billy Baker has been suspended until the reults of a state investigation involving alleged paperwork fraud are released in November, the office of the mayor confirmed.

The Arkansas Office of Law Enforcement Standards confirmed that an investigation into Mayflower Police Chief Billy Baker involving the submission of paperwork for radar gun testing has been launched and the results of the investigation will be available in a hearing on Nov. 22. until then, Baker has been suspended with pay, a representative from Mayflower Mayor Randy Holland's office said.

The investigation involves allegations that Baker turned in fraudulent paperwork for a radar speed gun class and test for his department, claiming that officers took the 16-hour class and passed the test when they did not do so.

The certified course is required for any law enforcement officer who uses a radar gun to monitor speeds of vehicles on highways or other roads. Two sheets are required to be signed by the police chief, one for those attending the class one for passing the test. The accusation is that no one from the department took the test and the police chief signed both sheets of paper and turned them into the state police.

If the allegations are proven true, anyone who was given a ticket for speeding by use of a radar gun by a Mayflower police officer might be able to contest the ticket and either not pay the fine or be issued restitution.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, several Mayflower officers attempted to dissuade Baker from submitting the paperwork.

Sgt. Jeremy Hanson will act as interim police chief until the hearing takes place. Attempts to contact Baker were unsuccessful.

DJB1971
DJB1971 10/18/12 - 03:45 pm
What?

Potential false statements and cover-up in a small town police department?

Well, color me surprised. ;-)

ucantbserious
ucantbserious 10/18/12 - 03:49 pm
bum bum bum..

another one bites the dust.

Terri Powers 10/18/12 - 07:17 pm
I love that song!

I love that song! Queen and Freddie Mercury were the bomb!

Whoops. I'm dating myself.

Just clarifying.

DJB1971
DJB1971 10/19/12 - 07:47 am
That's good news....

"Well, no, that doesn't mean I am having a date with myself. It means I am revealing the era in which I reveled in a particular genre of music."

I'm certain your husband feels less threatened by your comments now.

Afterall, if you left him for yourself, not only would he lose you, but you would probably stop cooking for him as well - seeing as how you would want to make fine meals for you in order to impress yourself.

As they say, the fastest way to your own heart is through your stomach. Or something like that.

ifyoudontknownowyouknow
ifyoudontknownowyouknow 10/18/12 - 03:59 pm
Criminal charges?

Mr. Duke did you happen to find out from the PA office if there are any criminal charges being filed?

General Disarray
General Disarray 10/18/12 - 04:06 pm
investigation

Charges usually come after the investigation.

i_wonder
i_wonder 10/18/12 - 04:02 pm
Baker has been suspended with pay

In other words. Vacation.

passthesalt
passthesalt 10/18/12 - 09:36 pm
In other words....

Innocent until proven guilty.
Sometimes I don't like it either, but in these days where anybody can accuse anybody of anything at anytime, it wouldn't be fair to penalize someone who MAY be innocent until they're proven guilty. Innocent people get accused of something and suspended from their jobs all the time.

i_wonder
i_wonder 10/19/12 - 07:18 am
hey

I'm not saying he's guilty, I wouldn't mind being suspended with pay for a month, if I were innocent.
ijs

Besides, lying on radar gun training forms has been going on since medieval times.

Sincerely,
Igor

DJB1971
DJB1971 10/19/12 - 07:50 am
Well...

"I wouldn't mind being suspended with pay for a month, if I were innocent."

I could always call the circus and claim that you cheated on your clownhat final exam in clown college if you wish. If in fact, you're innocent of that charge...(brow arched slightly)