Girl left alone after mother's DWI arrest

Posted: October 15, 2012 - 6:06pm

The father of a 10-year-old Conway girl contacted police on Saturday after his daughter called him to say she had neither seen nor heard from her mother since 8 p.m. Friday night.

According to a police report, officers arrived at the girl’s residence at Hogan Lane around 5:30 p.m. and found the girl “fine, physically,” but very upset and worried about her mother.

The girl told police she last had contact with her mother on Friday night prior to her mother going out with a friend and that her mother had reportedly told the girl they were going to leave Conway on Saturday to move in with her grandmother in Louisiana.

The girl said she attempted to contact her mother and the friend multiple times, but never got an answer, so she called her father in Crossett and told him she couldn’t get in touch with her mother.

Police checked Faulkner and Pulaski County jails and local hospitals but still did not locate the woman.

With the father en route to Conway, the woman reportedly showed up at the residence and told police she was on her way home when she was stopped by Plumerville police for speeding and was arrested for DWI.

The girl was placed into the custody of the Department of Human Services and allowed to say goodbye to her mother before being released to her father.

Police filed a report with the Arkansas State Police Crimes Against Children hotline and the woman was transported to Faulkner County jail, where she was charged with endangering the welfare of a minor.

(Megan Reynolds is a staff writer and can be reached at 505-1277 or by e-mail at megan.reynolds@thecabin.net. To comment on this story and others, visit www.thecabin.net.)

Shameful
Shameful 10/15/12 - 07:38 pm
Oops!

Mom says something to the effect of "Like,Conway County Deputies stopped me and like, arrested me for speeding and like, DWI and I was, like, so out of it that I, like, totally forgot I had, like, left my daughter, like, at home all alone, shoot, I had, like, totally, like, forgot that I even had a child!!!"
Some folks should not be given opportunity to breed, I'm just sayin'!
I am sure the girl was accustomed to such behavior out of the egg-donor or she would have called Dad, much sooner than a day later! Glad Dad was willing to drive here to pick up the child, hoping he treats her much better and allows her to be a child that is very happy!

BoddaBingO
BoddaBingO 10/15/12 - 09:46 pm
Egg-Donor, Good One!

Here she is in all her glorious beauty: http://thecabin.net/slideshow/2012-10-15/booked-10152012#slide-61

Really feel sorry for the kid she must have been scared!

rocket22
rocket22 10/16/12 - 11:09 am
Nice

Nothing like going on one last binge before moving in with grandma to mooch off of her!

arkansasobserver
arkansasobserver 10/16/12 - 11:38 am
Wow

I sure hope everybody here has a life free of problems, and never makes a mistake or needs help. And I sure wish I had ESP like "Shameful", who somehow knows that this person "should not be given opportunity to breed", and "I am sure the girl was accustomed to such behavior out of the egg-donor or she would have called Dad, much sooner than a day later!" I'm sure the comments are meant to be clever, but they are probably also hurtful to those involved.

Shameful, alright.

BuzzBy
BuzzBy 10/16/12 - 12:28 pm
REALLY

Spare the speeding drunk drivers feelings because people might say hurtful things on the interwebs.
Could we hurt her feeling if she would have had an accident and hurt or killed someone else.

i_wonder
i_wonder 10/16/12 - 12:33 pm
yep

A mistake is leaving the iron on, or forgetting to bring an umbrella during a 30% chance of rain day.

I'll admit to being a judgmental clownhat, but leaving your 10-year old at home alone while you get drunk and drive is a wee-bit more than a mistake.

i_wonder
i_wonder 10/16/12 - 12:27 pm
well

I'm sure the mother is a great person and it's all the mother's parents fault.

ucantbserious
ucantbserious 10/16/12 - 12:30 pm
Agreed

Clearly she is very much a family woman. She proves this by leaving her kid to go get plastered instead of being with her.

i_wonder
i_wonder 10/16/12 - 12:35 pm
Agreed

But, we must not forget that Mark Vaught shares some of the blame here.

I have no idea why, but it just seems like it.

ohjacki
ohjacki 10/16/12 - 04:17 pm
too funny

I like the way you think... lol