Cave art found at Petit Jean

Posted: January 25, 2012 - 10:10pm
Master naturalist and archaeologist Don Higgins and his neighbors on Petit Jean Mountain have discovered more than 150 pictographs by ancient Native Americans. He will present a program at 7 p.m. on Feb. 21 at the Faulkner County Library on “Stretching the Imagination: New Discoveries and Techniques in Petit Jean Rock Art.” He tells of new technology that allows explorers to see things missed before and gives a better understanding of how and when Petit Jean rock art was made. Higgins retired from the Air Force in 2006 and since has discovered more than 30 archeological sites in Arkansas. Higgins says: “Our Native American ancestors explored the meaning of their lives and spirits through the art that adorns many of the bluff shelters on Mount Petit Jean.” To read about artists working today, go to Go&DO, page 6A. DON HIGGINS PHOTO
Becky Harris
Becky Harris 01/26/12 - 03:57 am
A closer look

What does this ancient Petit Jean pictograph depict?

Becky Harris
Becky Harris 01/26/12 - 03:35 pm
It's a stretch, but

Anybody else see Boticelli's Birth of Venus? No? OK, maybe not.

krysd26
krysd26 01/26/12 - 07:12 am
looks like....

The first running of the torch for the Olympics!

Becky Harris
Becky Harris 01/26/12 - 03:37 pm
@krysd26

Torch bearer: My first thought, too. And David McCollum's.

There are so many other parts: I see the head and tail of a horse. And there's a dog. See it? The reproduction online is better than I had hoped.

I've heard Don Higgins speak; made me want to become an explorer.

BuzzBy
BuzzBy 01/26/12 - 08:07 am
More recent

Wall art says
POT

DJB1971
DJB1971 01/26/12 - 08:43 am
Sorry Guys....

...but that's a picture I drew of our recent Conway bad girl attempting to run from the police without spilling her drink.

I guess I should have dated it so that it didn't confuse anyone.

ucantbserious
ucantbserious 01/26/12 - 09:33 am
HAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, that's bad.

BuzzBy
BuzzBy 01/26/12 - 09:44 am
I think it looks like

The IRS serving a warrant on Duncan Outdoors INC.

riceboy
riceboy 01/26/12 - 09:50 am
cave art

Looks to me like "Tornado Man". Half man, half wind. Has the power to unleash tornados from his hand.

On a serious note, I hope these cave drawing can be protected so they will not be subject to vandalism. It's not like the original artist are still around you know.

yall have a good day.

DJB1971
DJB1971 01/26/12 - 09:53 am
Agreed.

I would hate to see this lost to the ignorance of someone who would think it clever to paint over or otherwise deface these paintings.