Update: Ryan's employees greeted with shut down

Posted: January 19, 2012 - 2:24pm

Thirty-two employees of Ryan's Family Steak House were told as they arrived for work today (Thursday) that the restaurant had closed at midnight.

The popular buffet eatery was the home for several civic clubs and other community meetings each week.

Aimee Prince, a member of the Noon Optimist Club, said they were told to pick up their banners, plaques, flags and signs.

A manager who did not wish to be identified said the remaining employees were "packing up the store."

When asked for a reason for closing, she said: "The economy is bad."

Buffets Inc., parent company of Ryan's, said Wednesday it had filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, closing 81 restaurants across the country.

Mike Andrews, CEO of Buffets said: "“We deeply regret the impact on our dedicated associates in those restaurants that will be closed,”

Read more: http://nrn.com/article/buffets-inc-files-ch-11-bankruptcy#ixzz1jwqM67ew

(Staff writer Becky Harris can be reached at becky.harris@thecabin.net and 505-1234.)

wisea55
wisea55 01/19/12 - 02:28 pm
Reason for closing "Truth"

The food was bad.

DJB1971
DJB1971 01/19/12 - 02:34 pm
You said it.

You said it.

braydin
braydin 01/19/12 - 02:37 pm
To put it nicely, a better

To put it nicely, a better option opened up. Did Ryan even do anything to attempt to make the place better since GC opened?

yodafunk
yodafunk 01/19/12 - 02:41 pm
Yep restaurants in Conway

Yep restaurants in Conway have actually flourished despite the poor economy. Keep up or get left behind... As is true with any business, especially one in such a competitive market.

IDKM
IDKM 01/19/12 - 02:37 pm
it was only

a matter of time.

But that stinks for the employees anyway you look at it.

DJB1971
DJB1971 01/19/12 - 02:43 pm
True

The employees should have been notified BEFORE the restaurant actually closed.

One Who Knows
One Who Knows 01/19/12 - 02:44 pm
Ryan's management is evil...nuff said

It is one thing to have to close, it is another to not tell your employees. Now people who are out of an income drove to work with gas being 3.15 a gallon, just to be told "you're unemployed now, go home" They could have told them at end of shifts or called them, rather than make them drive in. The store managers should forfeit their paychecks for those who drove out for nothing.

On another hand, since Golden Corral opened, anyone who went to Ryan's knew it would be closing. Going in on a Sunday after church and only seeing 5 tables filled??? Come on, any idiot could see it coming.

BuzzBy
BuzzBy 01/19/12 - 02:57 pm
Karma

Only fitting since I went ordered my steak it came under cooked (med-rare is not still bloody) not a problem would rather have it under cooked than over cooked. Point being I sent it back to be fired some more this was not a problem for me and I was nice. The problem arose that while waiting I went back to the food bar and got FULL. Now the problem when my steak came back I was FULL so I asked for a togo box. They said I could have one until I ate half of the steak.

Bad policy GOODBYE to BAD rubbish!!

General Disarray
General Disarray 01/19/12 - 03:09 pm
well

I've never even heard of it. So, I can guess at least one reason why they had to close.

wisea55
wisea55 01/19/12 - 03:11 pm
In a nutshell

The food sucked.
GC food sucks too just not as bad.
Customers move from terrible buffet to tolerable buffet.
No customers = out of business

Staff should have know that as soon as GC opened Ryans days were numbered. It was obvious.