Police: Remember to lock car doors

Teens arrested after breaking into cars

Posted: June 18, 2014 - 12:05pm

The Conway Police Department is asking residents to remember to lock their car doors at all times, even when parked in a driveway at home. Also, police ask that residents not store valuables in their cars, or at least keep them out of plain sight.

The department released a statement Wednesday saying police arrested two teen girls on Sunday near the Cinemark on Skyline Drive after a witness saw them pulling on door handles of cars, getting into vehicles and taking things.

The 16-year-olds told officers they had been riding around the area, got bored and decided to break into cars. They turned over the stolen items which included money, cigarettes, a wallet and a phone charger. Police returned the items to their owners. The Conway Police Department says this incident should serve as a reminder to the public to lock car doors, as the girls only got into cars that they found unlocked.

Elmer Fudd
Elmer Fudd 06/18/14 - 01:36 pm
Ummmm

what happened to the girls i wonder? Arrested?

ucantbserious
ucantbserious 06/18/14 - 01:47 pm
Hmm

"got bored and decided to break into cars"

Wow. That's how they decided to pass the time? Why not catch a movie since they were already in the parking lot.

I'm afraid we're going to see more of this as the summer progresses. Unsupervised minors with too much time on their hands getting into mischief.

When I was a kid I once told my mother I was bored. After spending the next eight hours cleaning the house I vowed to never mention that word in my mother's presence again.

reader
reader 06/19/14 - 09:27 am
It is a pity

you have to put an article in the paper to remind 'educated' people to lock their doors.

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 06/19/14 - 10:01 am
Yo

Conway, Arkansas: People used to leave their house unlocked, leave alone cars. In fact I've left my car unlocked in the driveway for longer than I've been (now) locking it.

Times are changing, got to remind people.

ucantbserious
ucantbserious 06/19/14 - 10:45 am
Agreed w/both of you. You just can't trust people like before.

It's a sign of the times. It's just like how gas stations require you to pay before filling up. Some jack-holes go to taking things that aren't theirs and now we all have to compensate.

Heck, if the occurrences of dine-n-dashes ever rise sharply I'm sure sit-down restaurants would start requiring people to fork over a credit card or leave a cash deposit to be held until the completion of the meal. It's all reactive to the current criminal climate.