State police to launch drunken-driving crackdown

Posted: August 12, 2014 - 10:21am

LITTLE ROCK — Arkansas State Police say they'll step up traffic enforcement on suspected drunken drivers in the weeks ahead of the Labor Day holiday weekend.

State police say the crackdown will begin Friday and continue through Labor Day on Sept. 1. Authorities say state and local officers will aggressively target drunken drivers as part of a national campaign called "Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over."

State police say there were 552 traffic fatalities on Arkansas roads during 2012 — and 26 percent of those involved a driver who was legally drunk.

State Police Director Col. Stan Witt says he hopes motorists will listen to the warning and arrange for a designated driver or another safe ride home.

InsGuru
InsGuru 08/12/14 - 02:30 pm
...

"Arkansas State Police say they'll step up traffic enforcement on suspected drunken drivers in the weeks ahead of the Labor Day holiday weekend."

I'm confused as to how they would do this other than with random check points, which are almost unconstitional themselves... You can't pull someone over due to "suspecting something". There has to be a violation that has occurred...

c'mon man
c'mon man 08/14/14 - 09:05 am
I've always been a little confused

by the "random check points are unconstitutional" argument.

At it's core, what is the difference between setting up a check point to find drunk drivers and sitting on the side of the road with a radar gun trying to catch people who are speeding? Both instances are a policeman trying to catch someone breaking the law.

I understand they can't search the vehicle when the stop occurs and they can't profile by only stopping certain people, but if they are stopping everyone to check for drunk drivers, I don't see the problem with that.

Also, I don't get the statement "You can't pull someone over due to suspecting something." If a drunk driver can't be pulled over because the policeman suspects he's drunk, then why are they usually pulled over? You can't prove someone is drunk just by the way he is driving. There could be many reasons a person is driving like that.

mikeng1994 08/14/14 - 09:25 am
I get both arguments. Check

I get both arguments.

Check points can very easily be abused by law enforcement. If its like you pull up and then say pull over you're getting searched, then I'd say that's not legal. I believe tho, that at a check point if they smell alcohol, just like pot, that is probable cause at that point.

If on the road, I think the "violation" would be like bumping the yellow line 3 or 4 times inside a mile stretch. Could be called dangerous or prohibitive driving maybe. But then if they are drunk, the officer moves on to that.

I do think check points are ok. If nothing else they might make a driver think about not driving impaired. It is also important to have a DD. Everyone knows someone who doesn't drink. offer them a good time out pay for their expenses that night and everyone have fun and get home safe.

I'm no lawyer, but I do drive by two holiday inns on my way to work.

InsGuru
InsGuru 08/14/14 - 10:33 am
4th amendment

It's a violation of the 4th amendment, it's an unreasonable seizure.

"You can't prove someone is drunk just by the way he is driving. There could be many reasons a person is driving like that."

Which is why you can't pull someone over just for "suspecting something".

Michigan State Surpreme court ruled that they're unconstitutional. The case then went before US Surepeme Court, who in a split decision, decided to leave it up to the states to decide. Currently, IIRC, 13 states have deemed them unconstitutional.

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 08/12/14 - 02:58 pm
Heard a story...

... recently about our fair city.

Drunk driver pulled over early one morning. Yadda yadda, tow called to pull the car to impound. The tow truck pulled up and... its driver was drunk.

Officer scored a double. Not sure who towed what in the end.

mikeng1994 08/13/14 - 04:19 pm
They could...

Set up road blocks looking for one of the FBI's public enemies!! Then just to an ID check all the while smelling for booze.

Really tho, I just hope that they can over saturate and just make people more aware. Also if they would just look in the Faulkner County booked and pay attention, they will know who to profile.

Over saturate?!? I kill myself sometimes.

RangeDawg
RangeDawg 08/13/14 - 10:27 pm
Drunk driving

InsGuru

Ru serious ?
Unconstitutional?
Ummmmmmmm
In case you didn't know....as sad as that may be
They stop people who stagger across the road or interstate repeatedly
Think about what you said if you can
This is about saving lives
Unbelievable comment
Ugh

InsGuru
InsGuru 08/14/14 - 10:35 am
r u srius?!?!

You're more than welcome to throw away your constitutional rights, however, I will not.

Ok 23% of accidents invovled a drunk driver, what about the other 77%?! How many deaths are too many?! just one right?! So lets just go back to the horse and buggy then. I mean one is one too many isn't it? I"m all for awareness, but not for a violation of my rights, or the opportunity for the police to try and abuse their power on me.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-WMn_zHCVo

The best part in the video "He's done nothign wrong and he knows his rights and he knows the constitution. Umm hey Jim, it's recording"

alipage72
alipage72 08/14/14 - 11:27 am
Good thing

They won't have to do it here, with it being a dry county and all.

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 08/14/14 - 11:52 am
Unconstitutional

The thing is, a road block is a search with the only probably cause being you're driving.

Which is the same as targeting you for a frisking 'cause you're walking down the street.

Which is the same as searching you in your house 'cause they can see you from the street.

Which is the same as searching your house 'cause you're in it. And on.

We're supposed to be (and the libertarnations love to point this out) innocent until proven guilty. Roadblocks are the opposite of this.

May I see your papers, please?