Maggio announces withdrawal from Court of Appeals race

Posted: March 5, 2014 - 9:49pm

Mike Maggio has withdrawn from the Arkansas Court of Appeals race.

He made the announcement in an email to The Arkansas Times, the content of which was also sent as a courtesy to other journalists who have covered the story by Clint Reed of Impact Management Group, who had been Maggio's campaign consultantcy firm until it severed ties with Maggio on Tuesday.

"I take full responsibility for the comments that have been attributed to me," the Arkansas Times reports Maggio as saying in the email. "I apologize deeply for my lapse in personal judgment and for that, I have no excuse. The comments posted were not acceptable. These comments are not a reflection of who I am.

"During my life, I have prided myself in treating all fairly and with respect, both personally and professionally. My friends, family and colleagues know me and can appropriately attest to how I have treated others. I stand by their opinion and regret letting them down. I ask for both yours and God’s forgiveness. My actions are not indicative or illustrative of the conservative political philosophy of which I hold dear.

"It is a shame that the politics of personal destruction take precedence along with the win at all costs mentality that results in the disjunction.

"At this time, in light of the pain I have caused to my family, friends, supporters, the Judicial Branch, and the public, I have requested that the Secretary of State remove me from the ballot.

"I would ask you to respect my family’s need for privacy so we can being the healing process of forgiveness."

Maggio's comments under the pseudonym "geauxjudge" also caught the attention of the state Judicial Discipline and Disability Commission, which has been conducting an investigation into Maggio's online activity.

Raving Bear
Raving Bear 03/05/14 - 11:00 pm
Having admitted that he made

Having admitted that he made sexist and racist remarks and that he considers Arkansans to be incest loving animal rapers he needs to be impeached and stripped of his robes. How can anyone possibly get a fair shake in his court room given he looks at you in the ways he expressed so often on tiger droppings?

Conwegian
Conwegian 03/06/14 - 09:08 am
politics of personal destruction

Sure was. Politics of personal self-destruction.

Happy Trails
Happy Trails 03/06/14 - 09:18 am
Doing the right thing

After a stumble it is important to do the right thing. At this point in time, our stumbles are rarely private. Thank you Judge for taking responsibility quickly and thoroughly. We all could learn to do that.

Protondecay123
Protondecay123 03/06/14 - 09:25 am
Playing the Victom

With the politics of personal destruction comment. After those comments it's hard to see how any one could get a fair judgement or the expected privacy from his court.

alipage72
alipage72 03/06/14 - 11:43 am
clueless?

This isn't about personal destruction. This is about people who come into a courtroom having faith that issues affecting their personal lives will be judged fairly and unbiased. Everyone in the world is going to have their own personal opinions and that's just human nature, it can't be helped. But a person that chooses to hold that position has to make a conscious decision to keep themselves above reproach. When you decide to voice things of this nature, only you are to blame for your own self destruction, you cannot blame others for discovering it.

Edit: I just found and read all his stuff on there. Wow. I gotta say, there are times I really want to post a comment on something, but then I get a voice in my head that says,"no, I'll just leave that one alone". If he ever had that voice in his head, he really should have listened more than a few times.

4hogfans
4hogfans 03/06/14 - 10:51 am
Read some comments made by geauxjudge

Spent twenty minutes reading various post by geauxjudge on LSU blog, tiger dropping and must say I agree with Ravingbear, he should never be allowed to judge or represent anyone in AR! Obviously, he doesn't think highly of our state and most importantly, our people!

conwaygerl
conwaygerl 03/06/14 - 11:02 am
It makes you think

How many other judges and politicians feel the same way as the comments he made, but are merely smart enough not to announce it to the public?

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 03/06/14 - 11:05 am
Troll culture

If we learn nothing else in society's current season, it's that troll culture is a real thing, exemplified here.

I'm sure he's a good guy, he just got all twisted up in Internet anonymity and made a massively poor decision, making statements he would never make under consideration.

That never happens here, but on other forums I understand it's a problem as well.

conwaygerl
conwaygerl 03/06/14 - 11:18 am
so

Your name isn't really Igor Rabinowitz and you've been trolling us with good ideas and poetry this whole time?

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 03/06/14 - 11:51 am

Thanks

And no, it's all legit. I was sent here by the central office to keep a lid on things