2 shot at Fla. movie theater, 1 later dies

Posted: January 13, 2014 - 3:34pm

WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a man has been arrested on suspicion of shooting two people — one fatally — after an argument over cell phone use at a Florida theater.

Pasco County Sheriff's spokesman Doug Tobin said two couples had been watching "Lone Survivor" Monday at a theater in Wesley Chapel, north of Tampa, when the suspect and his wife apparently took issue with the couple in front of them over use of the phones.

Tobin said the ensuing argument led to the shooting. Both victims were airlifted to a Tampa-area hospital. The man later died, but the female victim's injuries weren't considered life-threatening.

The sheriff's office reports that a bystander detained the suspect until deputies arrived. Authorities didn't immediately identify the suspect.

No charges have been reported.

Jollymusician
Jollymusician 01/13/14 - 04:07 pm
news

Slow news day I take it?

lachowsj
lachowsj 01/13/14 - 06:25 pm
Slow news day

Yeah, that's where we are, Jolly. When somebody shoots in a theater, killing one and wounding another, it's no big deal. How many bodies need to pile up before you deem it newsworthy?

Jollymusician
Jollymusician 01/13/14 - 08:09 pm
Consider

I considered it slow news due to the fact that this incident happened in Florida, not Central Arkansas. Homicides, suicides, and natural deaths happen across the country that are not always reported on. What makes an incident in Florida newsworthy to Central Arkansas? That is my question. Anytime someone dies is tragic, I understand that but, I am sure there are stories in Central Arkansas that could be reported on.

lachowsj
lachowsj 01/13/14 - 08:23 pm
But that's my point

If this had happened anywhere in England, a country of 60 million, it would be on the front page of every paper in the country and would by talked about and analyzed for weeks. Here it's just another day, just another shooting. I expect it was picked up here only because it happened in a movie theater, like Aurora, and seemed just as senseless.

faulknerwatchdog
faulknerwatchdog 01/13/14 - 06:52 pm
fdsjfsdjfsda543543543

By your twisted logic, one could safely rationalize that because of a few rapists, all sex should be outlawed.

Elmer Fudd
Elmer Fudd 01/13/14 - 08:27 pm
Not

on my watch watchdog.

lachowsj
lachowsj 01/13/14 - 08:34 pm
Developing story

Now it turns out the shooter was a retired cop. It seems he and the other man were arguing and the other man threw popcorn at him.

I feel another 'stand your ground' defense coming on. He felt threatened by the other man and had to defend himself, so POW!

ucantbserious
ucantbserious 01/14/14 - 10:14 am
NOT POPCORN!!!

The man was lucky he survived an assault by such a tasty, salty snack! He could have been killed! Killed, I tell you! No wonder he shot the man in self-defense! He even shot his wife too for good measure just like any responsible civic-minded individual would!

InsGuru
InsGuru 01/14/14 - 01:37 pm
Well yeah

I mean he probably had blood pressure and other issues that prevents him from eating popcorn, so I agree, throwing of the pop corn was assault with a deadly weapon.

Budnmud