As usual, there are the strange, entangled storylines for the Super Bowl.
We have Harbaugh brothers, Harbaugh parents, Ray Lewis, two quarterbacks ready for a spotlight, Ray Lewis, 49er resurgence, Ravens on a mission, Ray Lewis, controversial commercials — and deer antler spray.
It’s the second “eatingest day” in America — right behind Thanksgiving. It’s the greatest day for cheese dip in the world.
As usual, much of the focus will be away from the game.
In addition to the traditional line, there is an off-Vegas betting line on all sorts of weird or interesting items only limited by the imagination.
• The length of the singing of the national anthem.
• The number of times “Harbaugh” will be mentioned by the announcers during the game.
• The number of times “Ray Lewis” will be mentioned by the announcers during the game.
• The color of the Gatorade for the bath traditionally given the winning coach.
• The number of plugs for upcoming television shows.
• The number of field goals missed by San Francisco’s David Akers.
• The number of plugs for CBS’ coverage of “The Masters.”
• The times “deer antler is mentioned.
There’s always games within the game.
Even if you don’t like football, party on.
Even if the game is dull, the puppies will be cute.
(Sports columnist David McCollum can be reached at 501-505-1235 or email@example.com)