By COURTNEY SPRADLIN
LOG CABIN STAFF WRITER
A first floor fireplace may be the source of a residential structure fire that destroyed a home in the Pine Village community this week, authorities said.
No one was hurt in the incident, according to Pine Village Volunteer Fire Department Lt. Don Moix.
The residence at 101 Scenic Hill Road, owned by Kenney and Becky Lewis, was a total loss, he said.
“The home was a loss. It was fully engulfed before personnel made it on scene,” said Moix.
Mayflower Fire Department also responded, he said.
“It is undetermined where the fire started. An insurance investigator is looking at it, and we’re leaning toward a fireplace on the ground level floor,” said Moix. “We contained it to the dwelling and saved an adjacent garage building.”
According to a family member, Kenney Lewis was at home when the fire started Monday.
He reportedly went to a neighbor’s house to call for help due to insufficient mobile phone reception.
The family member said the couple is doing well despite the loss because of support from family and church members.
“They have everything they need as far as clothing and food,” she said.
(Staff writer Courtney Spradlin can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 505-1236. To comment on this and other stories in the Log Cabin, log on to www.thecabin.net. Send us your news at www.thecabin.net/submit)