Yesterdays: 12/02/17

December 2

 

(2007)

Dr. J. Timothy Cloyd, Hendrix College president, was pictured presenting former Hendrix basketball coach Cliff Garrison with a commemorative plaque during the court dedication at the new Grove Gymnasium in Garrison’s honor.

Rustic Comfort Furniture Store on Highway 65 in Greenbrier had its Grand Opening. The store featured all styles of furniture from cabin lodge rustic ranch to everyday traditional furniture.

Oxford Learning, owned by Jimmy and Audrea Toal, moved from North Donaghey to 2850 Prince Street. It provided tutoring and other educational services for children in grades K-12.

(1992)

Jennifer Wheeler and Bryan Davis were pictured rehearsing at Conway Dance & Gymnastics Center for a performance of “The Nutcracker” to be performed at the Conway Public Schools auditorium.

Nicole Stanko, a sophomore Hendrix volleyball player, received honorable mention on the All-American Collegiate Athletic Conference volleyball team. She was also a Conway High School graduate.

Jap Burton, vice-president of Cuerden Sign, was pictured by a Faulkner County Day School sign on Prince Street that the company donated. Others pictured were Nancy Martin, day school board member; Bill Martin, personnel manager of Cuerden; and Ruth Castleberry, day school executive director.

(1967)

Ernest Ruple of Conway, a senior at the University of Arkansas and an All-Southwest Conference tackle, had been invited to play in two post season football games. The first would be the East-West Shrine Game in San Francisco and the second was the Senior Bowl in Mobile Alabama.

E.F. Gentry was one of the first purchasers of the new alphanumeric Arkansas automobile license plates. New prefixes for Faulkner County were ALJ, ALK, ALL, ALM, and ALN. Special prefixes for Hendrix and SCA were SCA and HCC.

Andrew Grummer succeeded James W. Cox as the distributer of the Arkansas Gazette in Conway.

(1942)

Miss Jetta Lou Hazel, recent Liberty High School graduate, was accepted for enlistment in the women’s auxiliary army corps and was sent to Fort Des Moines, IA for training. She was the first Faulkner County girl to enter the WAAC as a “private.”

Mrs. Carroll Bishop, Arkansas state library commissioner since 1939, started as acting head librarian in the ASTC library.

Doughnuts went off the market due to shortening shortages. Bakers also revealed that they had baked their last fruit cakes because they were unable to obtain dried fruits.

(1917)

Mesdames Sam Glenn and B.C. Bradley delightfully entertained a number of young people of Conway at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Glenn in honor of Misses Ava and Florence Bradley, who had been visiting here.

Frank Whiddon sold his residence at 406 Clifton St. to J.O. Coleman, the consideration being $3,000. Mr. Whiddon and family had moved across the street to 405 Clifton St.

Over $100 was raised here by State Chairman E.F. Edwards of the Gideons and E.L. Hinton toward a fund being raised to place Bibles in the hands of American soldiers.

 

More

Wed, 12/13/2017 - 21:00

Roundabout: 12/14/17

HOLIDAY EVENTS

Read more
Wed, 12/13/2017 - 21:00

Yesterdays: 12/14/17

December 14

Read more