Yesterdays: 08/14/17

August 14

 

(2007)

Captains Ben and Rhonda Walters were the new Salvation Army leaders. The young couple and their four children moved from Baltimore, MD.

The city of Conway and Faulkner County invited Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department officials to a banquet at Hendrix College to thank them for their work in the city and county to date. Projects included widening Highway 64 to four lanes as well as a new interchange at Highway 64 and I-40 to be completed in 2008.

Twenty students graduated from the Milestones program of Faulkner County Day School. The ceremony was held at Antioch Baptist Church.

(1992)

In an attempt to gain approval for a doctoral program in school psychology, UCA planned to jettison baseball, men’s track and women’s track so that it can use the $450,000 of yearly funding and alleviate financial concerns about UCA’s ability to pay for the new program.

Front Street Mall, vacant all summer, was sold to American Management Corporation of Morrilton. American Management also purchased adjacent properties owned by Bob Kordsmeier and Dr. J.J. Magie. Steve Strange, the president and CEO, announced to the firm’s 80 employees that the headquarters would be moving to Conway.

(1967)

Mr. and Mrs. Glen Irby returned from Memphis where they attended a three-day convention of the Southern Association of Dance Masters. Mr. Irby was elected treasurer of the association which comprised a 14-state area. Earlier they spent a week in St. Louis attending performances of the Royal Ballet.

Jerry Jones of Holland was the recipient of a $300 college scholarship presented by the 14 Production Credit Association offices in Arkansas. He planned to major in agriculture. His father was a soybean and cattle farmer. He graduated from Greenbrier High and served as president of the FFA chapter and Student Council.

(1942)

Arkansas river bottom planters reported heavy infestation of boll weevils in their cotton fields. Dusting with calcium arsenate was started immediately with the Little plantation using the Kenneth Starnes flying service for the purpose.

George W. Rose, 86, a recluse in the Faulkner Gap community, was found dead in his bed. He came from Ohio about 35 years ago and homesteaded the 120-acre farm in the Wilson township.

Dr. Hugh Brooke of Conway, lieutenant-colonel in the U.S. Army medical corps, was assigned to the west’s all-army football team which had already started training for its first game against the Washington Redskins.

(1917)

A call for additional men to fill Faulkner County’s quota of 237 in the new National Army was made public. The following men from Conway were called to report for examinations: Bruce Pitts, William M. Stone, J.A. Anderson, Jr., Oscar Sims, William Smith, John Dickson, Arthur J. Phillips, Melvin Fronaburger, DeFlura Manley, Altha McClinton, John Mason, A.W. Williams, Lee V. Atkins, Coy Crout, Harold Morris, Leverett Gilbert, Sam Robertson, Guy R. Farris, Berry Pitts, Albert A. Whitton, Edward Fuller, Otha E. Lyons, Arthur C. Richards, Edward O. Stapleton, Ishmael Smith, Martin M. Metzger, and Eldridge Molby.

 

More

Wed, 10/18/2017 - 22:51

Roundabout: 10/19/17

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Read more
Wed, 10/18/2017 - 22:51

Yesterdays: 10/19/17

October 19

Read more