Study: Nearly 1 in 3 Arkansas kids live in poverty

Posted: July 22, 2014 - 11:00am

LITTLE ROCK (AP) — Nearly three out of 10 kids are living in poverty in Arkansas, but the number of children without health insurance has gone down, according to a national study released Tuesday that shows how children fare in each state.

The 25th annual Kids Count report from the Baltimore-based Annie E. Casey Foundation ranked Arkansas 41st in 16 indicators across four areas: economic well-being, education, health and family and community.

The report says that 29 percent of Arkansas children were living in poverty in 2012, up from 25 percent in 2005. Six percent of children lacked health insurance in 2012, down from 9 percent in 2008.

"I think the good news is that Arkansas has made some gains in health care coverage and education over the past year," said Rich Huddleston, executive director of Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families. "What's not so good is that the child poverty rate is 29 percent. Anytime you talk about getting close to three out of 10 kids living in poverty, that's very troublesome and problematic for a lot of different reasons for kids."

But Huddleston added that increased child poverty is a problem across the country. Nationally, the child poverty rate increased from 19 percent in 2005 to 23 percent in 2012, according to the Kids Count report.

The states with the highest overall child well-being ranking are Massachusetts, Vermont, Iowa, New Hampshire and Minnesota. The lowest-ranking states are Arizona, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico and Mississippi.

Arkansas had the biggest improvement in the rate of kids who received health insurance over the 25-year period that the report has been compiled, said Laura Speer, associate director for policy reform and advocacy at the Annie E. Casey Foundation.

"That's something that is really worth lifting up and celebrating. We know that if a child has access to health insurance, they're more likely to get the preventative health care they need," Speer said.

While the increase in health care coverage among kids is something to highlight, Huddleston said many families in Arkansas are still having a hard time climbing out of the recession.

"Even though the country has kind of gradually come out of the recession, it's still going to take a lot for that to show up in the pocketbooks of families," he said.

ARVoiceofLogic
ARVoiceofLogic 07/22/14 - 12:42 pm
Waiting

On the group that posts an abortion comment in every single thread to jump in here and scream for the help for these children? It will only be crickets because they don't really care about children, they care about demagoguery. This is a bigger tragedy to me. Children starving and being kept from a valuable education.

arkansan
arkansan 07/22/14 - 02:35 pm
Yup....

It's ironic the same group that complains about abortion is the same group that wants to immediately deport the children detained on the border.
How they split the hairs with their faith, I will never understand.

Lev. 19:33-34
When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

Matthew 25:43, 45
I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

braydin
braydin 07/23/14 - 08:48 am
I find it ironic that the

I find it ironic that the same people that want the church out of the government are the first to use scripture and claim that the government should be acting like a church. Charity is the job of the church, governments job is the protection of its citizens.

ARVoiceofLogic
ARVoiceofLogic 07/23/14 - 09:27 am
Oh no way!

How dare we call out the obvious influence the church has in our government and at the same time expose the church for not following through on the things it's actually supposed to practice. You can't have it both ways.

"governments job is the protection of its citizens."
That includes choosing who can marry whom right? Feeding starving children is protecting them. Take a look at the military budget compared to everything else. I think you will find we are adequately protected.

DanCDaves
DanCDaves 07/22/14 - 01:04 pm
I think you exemplified

I think you exemplified demagoguery by your comment which offered no solution to your issues which could have probably gone on forever, just another acidic comment against those you have differences with.

ARVoiceofLogic
ARVoiceofLogic 07/22/14 - 02:45 pm
Pointing out hypocrisy

Is not demagoguery.

Also, my solution is vote. I do not vote for the party that cuts food stamps, cuts social programs, removes sex education (lack of sex education leads directly to increases in poverty), strips women of their rights to sexual health, treats corporations as people (but doesn't treat people as people), and cares only for the wealthy. That is my solution. My generation agrees.

DanCDaves
DanCDaves 07/22/14 - 03:34 pm
ok webster

no one had even said anything and you came out swinging - that's demagoguery on par with rick santorum. what's great about your solution is that you know it only goes so far, and money can trump it, even if you side with what the money's buying, e.g. healthcare. don't give me this "i vote" crap. if what you're voting for doesn't have the cash to float it, you know it's not going anywhere.

i think your solution is kids should eat votes.

ARVoiceofLogic
ARVoiceofLogic 07/22/14 - 04:00 pm
You are describing a bigger problem

"what's great about your solution is that you know it only goes so far, and money can trump it"
This is why there is a cry for campaign finance reform.

"don't give me this "i vote" crap."
-Get out of here with that attitude.

DanCDaves
DanCDaves 07/23/14 - 03:44 pm
haha glad you're an authority on civics for us

don't start with the sanctimonious civic duty BS. get out of here with that crap.

conwaygerl
conwaygerl 07/22/14 - 08:17 pm
No dan

His solution is to kill them instead of let them have a life of poverty.

Murdering children..do it for the children.

I mean, if we killed all the poor kids, then no kids would live in poverty!

Pro-choice is really just anti-poverty.