No hints from Hillary Clinton on 'The Daily Show'

Posted: July 16, 2014 - 8:01am

NEW YORK (AP) — Hillary Rodham Clinton gave Jon Stewart no hints about whether she will run for president, but acknowledged during Tuesday's taping of "The Daily Show" that the speculation surrounding her possible candidacy has become "a cottage industry."

Stewart introduced Clinton by saying, "She's here solely for one reason: to publicly and definitively declare her candidacy for president of the United States ... I think."

That proved not to be true.

The two moved on to a series of national and international issues Clinton faced as secretary of state, including the violence and tension between Israel and the Palestinians.

"We're really in a terrible dilemma," she said, noting there has been an offer of a cease-fire brokered by Egypt that Israel accepted but that was rejected by Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip.

"Part of what I see Hamas doing is, their identity comes from being the violent resistance," she said.

Stewart also plugged Clinton's new book, "Hard Choices", calling it an "eyewitness view" to her four years as chief U.S. diplomat.

But he kept returning to everyone's main question: the 2016 presidential race, joking, "I think I speak for everybody when I say, no one cares (about the book), they just want to know if you're running for president."

He then took a different tack to try to get a hint from her about her political plans, asking whether she prefers an office with corners, or without them — like the Oval Office.

She didn't go for that bait either.

The 66-year-old former first lady is well aware of the spotlight on her as a potential presidential hopeful, with pundits parsing her every word and books and articles attacking her past actions.

"I've been amazed at what a cottage industry it is, and so, I kind of expect it would continue, so I'm not really paying a lot of attention," she deadpanned.

However, when asked about her recent statement that her family was "dead broke" when they left the White House, she conceded, "That was an inartful use of words" — given the tens of millions of dollars she, her husband and their daughter Chelsea reportedly have earned with just their speeches.

The memoir of her time as secretary of state is No. 2 on The New York Times' nonfiction best-seller list. The hardcover is right behind the No. 1 best-seller, Edward Klein's "Blood Feud," which details the alleged animosity between the Clinton and Obama families.

Clinton last appeared on "The Daily Show" during her 2008 presidential campaign.

The show aired Tuesday.

lachowsj
lachowsj 07/16/14 - 09:22 am
Dead broke

I have no doubt that the Clintons were broke on paper at the time they left the White House, just as Hillary claims. Throughout their early marriage, Hillary was the practical breadwinner as Bill pursued his political ambitions. Bill's salary as governor of Arkansas was $25,000 in 1980. Hillary made considerably more as a lawyer in private practice. Biographies have noted that she sometimes angrily pointed that out to him, noting his lack of practicality and her resentfulness at having to support the family. Bill was famous for never carrying money. Out on official business or the campaign trail, he would sometimes lean his shoulder into whatever aide was close by and say, "Buy me a cup of coffee."

Their differing approach to money seems indicative of their very different personalities and may say a lot about how different President Hillary would be from President Bill. Bill was ever the optimist; Hillary is a realist. Bill had supreme confidence in himself and his political genius; Hillary believes success comes by keeping your nose to the grindstone. Bill's religious philosophy might be, "The Lord will provide." Hillary might like the expression, "God gives every bird its food but he doesn't put it right in the nest."

Even if her leanings are more liberal, I would expect President Hillary to be a centrist and a pragmatist who would work hard to make government function.

conwaygerl
conwaygerl 07/16/14 - 01:12 pm
She'll win in 2016

But this is still ironic.

lachowsj
lachowsj 07/17/14 - 08:59 am
Speaking of Benghazi

I see Chairman Darrell Issa suddenly recessed his committee's investigation of the Benghazi attack. It seems the only explanation was that the two scheduled witnesses were going to contradict his narrative about the incident and he didn't want the public to hear them.

It really sounds like he is seeking the truth--NOT.

conwaygerl
conwaygerl 07/17/14 - 09:08 am
Right

And the IRS emails were "lost".

mikeng1994 07/16/14 - 04:06 pm
Come on man, really? I only

Come on man, really? I only wish I was ever their kind of poor.

c'mon man
c'mon man 07/17/14 - 08:53 am
You called???

I wish I was that poor too. :)

lachowsj
lachowsj 07/17/14 - 09:14 am
I take your point

Even if the Clintons were poor on paper, they were fully aware they could earn massive amounts in short order. But I can't resent them for that any more than I can resent LeBron James from earning a fortune playing a game.

Hillary's political error was that she tried to have it both ways. Bill, on the other hand, has made it a point to say how well off they now are. He also says he is in favor of closing tax loopholes that he and other wealthy people should not be entitled to.

That's Bill's genius. He can roll in the dough and still remind us of his humble beginnings and innate understanding of the common man. When Hillary tries to make the same point she puts her foot in it.

conwaygerl
conwaygerl 07/17/14 - 09:58 am
My advice

They should take the tax deduction on their donated underwear again.

lachowsj
lachowsj 07/17/14 - 10:52 am
Played by the rules

They played by the rules of the game, ridiculous as they may be. We know that because we saw their tax return. Still waiting to see Romney's.

Diogenes
Diogenes 07/17/14 - 11:21 am
We don't know that they played by the rules

They own the IRS!!

Winthrop Rockefeller never carried money either. My father finally learned not to travel with him and carry any money. My father spent five days traveling with Winthrop in 68 and only carried 15 cents in he pocket.