AG rejects wording on Arkansas alcohol ballot item

Posted: April 1, 2014 - 9:53pm

LITTLE ROCK — Backers of a proposed constitutional amendment that would make it legal to produce and sell alcohol in all 75 Arkansas counties will have to try again for approval of the wording of their ballot item.

The state attorney general's office on Tuesday rejected the wording of the proposed Arkansas Alcoholic Beverage Amendment.

The drive for the amendment is being organized by attorney David Couch.

Attorney General Dustin McDaniel's office said the proposal had ambiguities in its wording.

The measure would repeal laws that allow counties to conduct wet-dry votes and would make alcohol sales legal across Arkansas.

lachowsj
lachowsj 04/02/14 - 08:40 am
Too bad

It is long past time for Faulkner County to end their experiment in prohibition.

mikeng1994 04/02/14 - 09:39 am
You won't hear me disagree

You won't hear me disagree with that. I'm tired of living in the geographical oddity of being 2 weeks from everywhere to buy beer.

Diogenes
Diogenes 04/02/14 - 10:53 am
Easy now

Let's not forget that the "experiment" was an overwhelming success in that it did what it was intended do. During WWII when Conway's women folk voted the city dry, it forced the city's transient homeless population to clear out and never come back. it's been Pulaski county's problem ever since.

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 04/02/14 - 03:00 pm
I'm calling "myth"

The homeless explosion wasn't until the Reagan era, plus during WWII employment numbers were crazy-high. Wandering homeless weren't the problem. (Never mind it's mental health more than alcohol, used to self-medicate, that's primarily at issue.)

As far as "success," it drove a metric ton of tax revenue to counties and cities other than this one.

Finally, the men/WWII thing is, I recall, a myth itself. I don't recall the exact details, but that one was shot down in the course of the private club discussions.

Diogenes
Diogenes 04/02/14 - 03:37 pm
Huh?

I could go through your mother in law Ms Connie to shut you up, or bring beer by your house and we'll talk about it?

ARVoiceofLogic
ARVoiceofLogic 04/02/14 - 11:45 am
Those holding firm to our little prohibition

Are primarily of the southern conservative persuasion. The same group that screams of the gubment invading their lives and personal decisions. Don't they see the inconsistency a bit?

Diogenes
Diogenes 04/02/14 - 12:15 pm
Nope

Nope

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 04/02/14 - 03:07 pm
That's always struck me as well

"I'm a conservative and I want small government."

But this is a morality issue

"Then I'm a conservative and I want big government."

Social-conservatives: When you absolutely positively have to talk out both sides of your mouth.

conwaygerl
conwaygerl 04/02/14 - 02:41 pm
Liberals

Always scream for more tax money for drug and alcohol abuse assistance and treatment programs.....while begging for legalizing the same substances that lead to drug and alcohol abuse.

Don't they see the inconsistency a bit?

conwaygerl
conwaygerl 04/03/14 - 06:20 am
--As to drug and alcohol

--As to drug and alcohol abusers, they end up being society's problem one way or another.--

Not if they never become an abuser. Which is the intent of restricting access.

Why isn't hydrocodone over the counter?