Rain will move into the state Saturday night ahead of bitterly cold weather and a threat for wintry weather, the National Weather Service said.
A brief changeover to sleet is expected before snow moves into northwest Arkansas, parts of north central Arkansas and the western part of the Ouachita Mountain region by 6 a.m. Sunday.
Meteorologist John Robinson said significant precipitation will exit eastern Arkansas by the mid-afternoon hours Sunday, although some flurries could be seen afterward.
Current models show Faulkner County — and much of central Arkansas — will receive between 1/10 and 9/10-inch by 6 p.m. Sunday.
The wintry weather will be followed by chilly temperatures expected to be in the single digits and teens Monday morning. The cold weather will last into Tuesday, and will be accompanied by windy conditions from Sunday and into Monday.
McGee Center will serve as a warming center from 6 p.m. Sunday until Tuesday, or as needed.
Robinson said wind chill advisories will more than likely be issued for much of the state with some wind chill warnings in northern Arkansas.
Following is a list safety tips for Arkansans during the cold weather:
•Check on the sick and elderly. Ensure that their heater is working and that they have adequate fuel supply.
•Bring pets inside during winter weather. Move other animals or livestock to sheltered areas with non-frozen drinking water.
•Keep cell phones fully charged in case of electricity loss.
•Have heater, chimneys and flues inspected and maintained properly to reduce fire hazard and risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
•Insulate water pipes and allow faucets to drip to prevent pipe freezing.
•Ponds may freeze, but ice might not be thick enough to support human weight. Do not walk on ice or frozen ponds.
•Carry a blanket and extra coat in vehicles in case of breakdowns or other incidents.
•To prevent fuel line freezes, keep gas tanks full in vehicles and use fuel additives to dissipate water in the fuel.
•Extreme cold will cause a weak car battery to fail when it is needed most. Have the vehicle’s battery tested.
•Prevent the risk of deadly carbon monoxide poisoning by using only traditional home heaters. Never use a generator, grill, camp stove or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal burning devices inside a home or other enclosed area. Keep such devices outdoors and away from doors, windows and vents that could allow carbon monoxide to flow indoors.
•Keep a working carbon monoxide detector inside the home.
•Never leave a vehicle running while it is parked in a garage, even if the garage door is open.
•Never plug a space heater into a power source that is not the direct outlet.Tweets about "arwx"