UPDATE: Local dentist arrested, charged with terroristic threatening

Larry Fincher allegedly threatens to kill DFA employee in letter

Posted: May 9, 2013 - 1:16pm

A Conway dentist has been charged with terroristic threatening, according to an affidavit obtained by the Log Cabin Democrat from the Faulkner County prosecuting attorney’s office.

Court documents show Larry Fincher, 58, was charged with first-degree terroristic threatening, class D felony, by prosecuting attorney Cody Hiland.

Faulkner County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Matt Rice on Thursday afternoon said Fincher had been arrested and was being processed at the Faulkner County jail.

An affidavit from Hiland’s office states Fincher sent a letter to the Department of Finance and Administration in response to a delinquent tax notice that was sent to Fincher.

Fincher’s letter to the DFA stated that he would cause death or serious injury to anyone “who attempted to come and collect or remove him from his business,” the affidavit states.

Fincher’s letter said he would kill Drew Smith, DFA division manager, and later stated that “he would make Smith’s wife a widow,” the affidavit said. Fincher also stated that he would kill “any government tyrants, agents or such that tried to shut down his business,” according to the affidavit.

The affidavit states Fincher wrote that he had a loaded shotgun in the corner of his office and “was ready to meet any actions against him with force.”

Fincher also stated that the letter should be kept and used in court in case he survived “an encounter with the government,” the affidavit said.

“I know that people can rightfully get frustrated with their tax burden and government in general, but we live in a society that cannot permit people to respond to that frustration by threatening to kill public officials,” Hiland said.

Fincher’s letter was sent to Smith from a fax number that is listed to Fincher, the affidavit states.

(Staff writer Lee Hogan can be reached by email at lee.hogan@thecabin.net or by phone at 505-1246. To comment on this and other stories in the Log Cabin, log on to www.thecabin.net. Send us your news at www.thecabin.net/submit)

reader
reader 05/09/13 - 08:21 pm
Wow

Sounds like this is a dangerous situation. Is there any information on whether he has been arrested and hopefully being held for the safety of those he has threatened? Maybe he has been listening to too many right wing conspiracy theories, but his threats warrant protection of the public.

Thanks for the update on the arrest. At least he was not so frustrated he faxed the letter instead of mailing it which would have made him eligible for Federal charges, instead of state. Using the telephone system may still make him eligible for federal charges. The guy sounds dangerous and if convicted he should be adjudicated unable to buy, own or possess weapons such as guns in the future. Any he does own at this time should be seized and not returned due to the nature of his alleged crimes.

ucabear09
ucabear09 05/09/13 - 01:48 pm
Wow

I had heard from a few people when I was looking for a dentist in Conway that carries my insurance that this guy was a jerk. Whenever I've driven past his office in West Conway, there's never been anyone there and the landscaping is in terrible shape. Not surprised he's delinquent on his taxes. Time to shut the office down and retire. He's made enough money.

stareeyedmom2
stareeyedmom2 05/09/13 - 02:10 pm
Crazy!

My husband had issues with his teeth from the Army and while he was waiting for VA, I called around to try to find someone to help him. Mr. Fincher said he would help and my husband went in. He gave stated that he would give him a temporary bridge for free. Two weeks later he started calling and harrasing me saying that we owed him $400. I ended up just giving him the money even though we did not really have it. He called me three times a day for several days until I paid. We never went back!

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 05/09/13 - 03:08 pm
He's something

He's a character all right, broke the mold when they made him kind of guy.

Certainly knowledgeable of his tradecraft.

conwaykram
conwaykram 05/09/13 - 05:47 pm
Taxes

Dr Fincher was arrested because he made a decision to include a threat in a letter sent to the Arkansas tax folks. He has some tax issues that pushed him over the edge where he made a bad decision. I think most folks that have been in situations with a state tax office or the IRS can see where it is easy to get very frustrated. No doubt, it is wrong to make threats, but it gets very stressful and frustrating dealing with the government on anything - especially taxes. They certainly do not make it easy for anyone , especially independent business owners (anyone remember what happened to the good people at Duncan Outdoors here in Conway?).

Praying for Dr Fincher and his family, and I hope this all gets worked out, and he can overcome all of this.

What is that saying/ verse from the good book? "....let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone."

cyndie74
cyndie74 05/09/13 - 05:51 pm
Someone's been partaking

Of a leeeeetle too much laughing gas.

conwayville
conwayville 05/09/13 - 08:40 pm
conwayville.

Have worked for him in the past, and never once thought he'd ever do anything like this. I guess it goes to show that EVERYONE is "human".

One For All Magazine
One For All Magazine 05/16/13 - 10:27 pm
Kudos

I have probably met you. I was a patient. We are ALL human, and subject to failure.

Romans 3:23
For there is no difference; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God...

NoKidding
NoKidding 05/09/13 - 08:58 pm
Fincher
Fincher 11/19/13 - 05:38 pm
my mistake

Out of the blue, I got a letter from DF&A promising to padlock my business in as little as a month. This was the first notice of any issues they had with me. The "Business Closure Warning" said in bold underline sentence, "Any additional occurrences within a 24 month period will result in the closure of your business". I use a respected local accounting firm. After months, they finally admitted to me they failed to do their job of filing my reports. However my tax payments were always kept up to date by myself. This happened at the time when tax agencies were being caught targeting people based upon their political creed. The media was saturated with reports of this at the time.

I boiled over in a PRIVATE letter to the man who had made the threat to me and hastily faxed part of it. I should have dealt with his supervisor by voice call. I never wanted publicity. I started discussing self defense in a very satirical manner. (Joe Biden) And then I crossed the line of decency with my comments into very wrong words.

I did wrong. Now, months later, I have been astounded at the support and compassion which has been shown me by the people of Conway. I am totally humbled by what I have seen and learned.