Huckabee draws crowd at UCA

Surprise announcement raised program endowment to $252,000

Posted: April 9, 2013 - 10:06pm
Back | Next
ERIC WHITE STAFF PHOTO         John W. Allison speaks with former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee at an event preceding Huckabee's appearance as the speaker at the endowment of the John W. Allison Entrepreneur Series at the University of Central Arkansas. Find video of the event and a slideshow at thecabin.net.
ERIC WHITE STAFF PHOTO John W. Allison speaks with former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee at an event preceding Huckabee's appearance as the speaker at the endowment of the John W. Allison Entrepreneur Series at the University of Central Arkansas. Find video of the event and a slideshow at thecabin.net.

Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee drew many Tuesday as the featured speaker at the event to endow the John W. Allison Entrepreneur Series at the University of Central Arkansas.

The event, attended by business and civic leaders, and about a dozen students, raised $126,000.

In a surprise announcement at the end of the event, Allison’s family told attendees they would match the funds to endow the program at $252,000.

Huckabee’s remarks centered on the importance of feeding the entrepreneurial spirit in the next generation of students, some of whom he asked to stand from their seats in the audience.

He said of the many successful entrepreneurs and business minds that made up Tuesday’s crowd at the McCastlain Ballroom, the most important in attendance were the students.

He spoke of his own experience as a first generation high school graduate, and of the teaching he received from those who placed trust in his abilities at an early age.

He hailed the engagement entrepreneurial series’ efforts to introduce juniors and seniors of UCA’s College of Business to leaders they could learn from as he and Centennial Bank founder Allison had.

“That’s why this program is so important. ... I believe out of this program you are getting people who can teach ... the realities of business,” he said.

And what it is to “sign the front of a paycheck,” instead of the back.

The series was founded in 2006 through an endowment of First State Bank, now Centennial Bank in Conway, and was created to expose students to “successful men and women who have distinguished themselves in business by their entrepreneurial abilities.”

All speakers in the program are Arkansans selected by the series advisory panel.

Junior and senior students in good academic standing are eligible to apply.

Olguywicker
Olguywicker 04/09/13 - 11:54 pm
Florida Resident

We should stop calling him Former Arkansas Governor and call him Florida resident. He skipped the state that help make him to avoid paying taxes in Arkansas. The same taxes that provided him an income and an expense account for several years.

SWIBC
SWIBC 04/10/13 - 01:10 pm
so you feel the same about

so you feel the same about Billy and Hilly then?

Battlecat
Battlecat 04/10/13 - 08:54 am
12 Students?

Really? And the event was held at UCA? This is weird to me. With the Business department and the Political Science department and only 12 students?

Courtney Spradlin
Courtney Spradlin 04/10/13 - 09:41 am
I see what you're saying, but

I see what you're saying, but this was an event to raise money.
If you asked me for a donation while I was in college, I might have been able to give you $3.

Courtney Spradlin
Courtney Spradlin 04/10/13 - 09:41 am
I see what you're saying, but

I see what you're saying, but this was an event to raise money.

Battlecat
Battlecat 04/10/13 - 10:01 am
Ya.

I get what your saying too. However, being an institute of higher learning one would think that students would be encouraged to attend, or at least notified about the event especially given Huck's political ideals. I'm in the Pol. Sci. dept everyday and I hadn't seen a poster or heard an announcement!

I just think that it would have been worthwhile for students. Hell, we get extra credit for going to a Turkish cultural exhibit, but no mention that the former state governor was to speak.

Rhonda Overbey
Rhonda Overbey 04/10/13 - 09:20 am
Impressive

Huckabee certainly hasn't lost his gift as a great orator!
Great night for UCA. Another great example of the generosity of Arkansans and the Allison family.

Battlecat
Battlecat 04/10/13 - 09:36 am
crypted quill
crypted quill 04/10/13 - 12:52 pm
So, when do you (UCA) change

So, when do you (UCA) change the name of McCastlain Ballroom, to The Janet Huckabee Ballroom & Nature Center?

Marvin Lessmann
Marvin Lessmann 04/10/13 - 10:41 am
Great Program

It is so great to have a program like this at UCA. Our business students need the exposure to active business people. As a grad of the Business Program at UCA, I can tell you first hand, we have great programs at UCA. Thanks to all that helped put this program together.