UCA 58, NW State 28. 7:56 4th

Letter to the Editor: Sen. Rapert a poor steward of our money

Posted: June 12, 2014 - 3:15pm

Sen. Rapert a poor steward of our money

I read a story this morning. Judge Susan Webber Wright ordered the state to pay $69,025.45 in attorneys’ fees and court costs. These fees were incurred, in part, because Sen. Jason Rapert pushed the state to defend a bill they knew was unconstitutional and would cost the state of Arkansas money. Senator Rapert took an oath to uphold the US and Arkansas State constitutions. Instead, he wastes time and taxpayer monies to pursue futile efforts while claiming on his website to be “honored” to have “earned the trust of others in Conway and Faulkner County to manage their hard-earned money.” He goes on to say, “As a senator, I have proposed and supported legislation that fights for hardworking Arkansas taxpayers and makes state government more accountable to the people.”

Well, Senator Rapert – I am asking for your accountability to me, your constituent. You are a poor steward of state monies. I do not trust you. You could have given meals to 26,548 children with food insecurity around this state. You could pay a teacher’s salary and benefits package with that money. You have trespassed against your constituency. As our senator you knowingly, wantonly wasted our taxpayer dollars. Stop the grandstanding, do something with substance. I doubt you manage your client’s money by flushing it down the toilet — please consider giving your Arkansas constituency the same consideration you give your clients.

I have tried to contact Sen. Rapert. He does not respond, and he blocks anyone on social media who does not agree with him. He claims abuse, but he blocks most anyone who disagrees with him no matter how professional or polite they may be. We have little to no way of contacting him. I have requested a meeting with him. He has not yet responded but I am still hopeful. He has turned down an FOIA request for his public meeting calendar.

I want this published because he needs to be accountable somewhere and this is difficult. I am a student but I believe I deserve to be heard by my representatives. Please help.

— Julie Gerlinger, Conway

lachowsj
lachowsj 06/12/14 - 04:44 pm
Bravo!

My problems with Sen. Rapert go well beyond his policy stances. He is arrogant and dismissive and thinks he is above being held accountable. He also has a loose acquaintance with the truth as when he denied any effort to start impeachment proceedings against Judge Piazza. He is not worthy of the office he holds. Hopefully the voters will see that come election time.

Thanks, Julie, for countering Sen. Rapert's grandstanding with facts and truth.

tmccoy72032
tmccoy72032 06/12/14 - 07:13 pm
Senator Rapert

My problem with Senator Rapert is that I voted for him because he presented himself as a conservative. The first thing after he was elected, he started trying to push his agenda based on his religious views. I am also a Christian, but I do not believe that politicians should spend so much time and effort promoting their personal beliefs. I voted for him so he could be a fiscally conservative representative. I believe that being a wise steward of the people's money is his first responsibility. So far, I am not impressed.

conwayville
conwayville 06/12/14 - 11:05 pm
Politicians

Is there any politician in office that is trustworthy?

arkansan
arkansan 06/12/14 - 11:50 pm
This guy has got to go.

I heard him a few days ago admiring the Saudi Arabia-style of governance. We don't need this kind of mentality. This guy has got to go.

commonsenseapproach
commonsenseapproach 06/13/14 - 12:47 am
Keep standing tall

I think this country was built by Godly men on Godly principles. The fact that our leaders are so far from God is why our country is in distress. I think our founding fathers would be as proud of Sen. Rapert as I am.

The fact that $69k in court costs were incurred becaue this man was standing up for unborn children is minimal. 1) $69k is a drop in the bucket to Arkansas $25 billion a year budget. 2) how do you put a price tag on lives?

well....
well.... 06/13/14 - 05:51 am
hmmm

Which Godly principles though? There is many interpretations to follow. Your God or mine?

mikeng1994 06/13/14 - 07:06 am
The Liberal platform has no

The Liberal platform has no God. Next excuse please.

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 06/13/14 - 08:09 am
Oh hey

Political lefty here, devoted follower of Christ; all about compassion and service.

Love you man.

mikeng1994 06/13/14 - 09:14 am
Sorry

I didn't mean there are no God loving liberals. I was just referring to their platform. From ABC News, "For Democrats, there is no God in 2012 — at least as far as the party’s platform is concerned."

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 06/13/14 - 10:00 am
And further

ABC not only doesn't speak for me, but judging from the headline went into that one with its agenda loaded and ready.

This is what gets me, this whole drive to create a "us v. them" environment. (Coupled with the growth of slopping journalism as money leaves that industry and expectations for a 24/7 news cycle.) Everything's sports coverage, everything's the Superbowl; this team v. that team.

*grumble*

Hey, Rapert, who's a friend and a political opposite of some long standing, is at the least someone to take on a political role which, lets not kid ourselves, in this era of personal destruction politics (just read the comments) and divisiveness-as-platform at least makes the point he's got moxie.

I don't like that that pile of money got spent either, but I'm more worried about overall fiscal policy and this general "punish the poors" mentality required to gain political office. (Our thoughts and prayers are with the dispossessed, our laws and politicians are with the monied class.)

Rather than "... and this is something else (s/he, they) got wrong" maybe we should find some common ground?

It's not hard, even in Rapert's case it's fairly obvious.

As a further aside: It's been hard, but I stopped talking (stuff) about people a couple years ago. It's especially hard since I'm a master of the quick wisecrack and such is an easy go-to for such things. While I'm not at 100 percent yet, I can honestly say the difference has been amazing. If nothing else I feel better about myself. I know, right?