Letter to the Editor: Lessmann has true character

Posted: June 7, 2014 - 5:42pm

Lessmann has true character

I read the article on Marvin Lessmann’s complaints regarding the county clerk’s office and the subsequent published anonymous comments.

Having known him for approximately five years, most of these comments were, in my opinion, not a true reflection of whom Marvin really is.

As for the conservative who wrote that Marvin made the Republicans look bad: If it wasn’t for Marvin’s chairmanship of the Republican Party around 2009, it would still be in the terrible state it was before he took over. And he was in part responsible for the victorious campaigns of Republicans in 2010 for the first time in a long time in Faulkner County.

I have heard that some Democrats voted for his opponent because they were worried about Marvin being more capable of winning against a Democrat. Republicans have done the same thing, under similar circumstances.

As for as the conservative’s anonymous accusation of some unethical behavior on Marvin’s part: Unless they know for sure of him threatening someone, they shouldn’t make that accusation.

In the past, people were a lot more careful about making accusations they may or may not know were true. Unfortunately, today it seems all you need to make accusations is someone said it on the internet or you heard it from someone. I know it isn’t the popular viewpoint these days, but maybe the reason God warned us not to make false accusations is because of all the hurt it causes?

When I recently acquired a life-threatening illness, Marvin happened to come by our house at a time when we needed some repairs done. Knowing that most of our money was going toward astronomical medical bills and that my husband was unable to do them; without our asking him, he volunteered to both pay for the repairs and supervise the workers. As the old saying goes, when you go through something like this, you find out who your real friends are.

Marvin has always endeavored to reform the election process in Faulkner County, something we all — whether Republican or Democrat — should work together in order that they remain fair and honest. That’s what our wise forefathers intended.

In summary, what I know about him is that he is the kind of friend who will help you, both financially and with his time if you need it; that he’s a hard worker who is seriously loyal to his Party, and that he wants to hold the election process accountable, even if it’s for something seemingly insignificant. In my opinion, that’s the kind of man we need in office today.

And, after all he’s done for them, I hope more conservatives will jump to his defense.

It is also my hope that the people who anonymously wrote those ugly comments will think before saying those things again. If not, it’s OK, because we live in a country (thank God) where you are free to speak your mind even if it’s anonymous and untrue, and count on your vote being counted honestly. I sincerely hope that whomever we elect will fight for those rights, Democrat or Republican.

— Deb Prince,

Conway

ucantbserious
ucantbserious 06/08/14 - 10:03 pm
Okay

But can he tell time?

Grace123
Grace123 06/09/14 - 09:04 am
True Friend

I'm glad for you, Deb Prince, that Marvin Lessmann was a good friend to you in time of need. But where do you get your facts about his leadership of the Republican Party in Faulkner County?
FACT: When he started his term as Chairman, membership was 85. When he didn't run for a 2nd term, because he knew he didn't have the support, membership was down to five (5) members .
When a new Chair was elected, former members again joined.
F.Y.I. He was Chairman in 2005-2006.
You became a member of the Committee when Mr Lessmann nominated you for an Officer position. What you didn't know, the rules say you have to be a member and attend 4 meetings in the previous year. You did not qualify and did not win that election. You have not renewed your membership in the following years, so how can you know what happens in the Committee?
I'm sorry that you have been one more victim in the ongoing machinations of a narcissistic, paranoid person.

Senseable
Senseable 06/09/14 - 04:48 pm
You Are Seriously Wrong

First: Mr. Lessmann took over the Faulkner County Republican Party Leadership, as Committee Chairman, in late Spring of 2008. The membership at that time was very low. When he left the office of Chairman, the voting membership was 66 with many visitors at the committee meetings. The email list was several hundred. Mr. Lessmann was reelected to the Chairman position in 2009 (elections are held in January of every odd-year). Many former members began submitting membership applications several months before the 2011 election in which Mr. Lessmann was not a candidate.
Second: Deb Prince was never a candidate for a Committee Officer position but did serve a short time as a subcommittee chairperson. The lady did know much of the committee activities as her husband served well as a Justice of the Peace for the Faulkner County Quorum Court until his resignation recently as he moved from the district he was representing.
Third: You seem to be the only victim here, of your own paranoia. During the two terms of Mr. Lessmann the county committee began to function. Subcommittees were formed with some new chair people, the committee bylaws were review and updated, many Republicans were elected to office (at one time there were 8 of the 13 JP's Republicans on the county Quorum court), won 2 county wide offices and most of state Representatives and state Senators. He continued to serve the county committee after he left office (as he still does) and was the 2012 Volunteer of the year.
Last: If you are a Republican, you should not be and do not understand what you are talking about. I do as I was there! If you are a Democrat then I can understand your attempt to mar a fine man as I have been told by several that the Democratic Party fears Mr. Lessmann and does do whatever they can to discredit him and work against his campaigns with any lie and twisted truth that they can.

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 06/09/14 - 07:58 pm
You know...

... when you focus on any man, any of us (well not me, but you people) through single-issue myopia you get, well, this: I'm sure this is a decent guy who gets along about like everyone else, who has people who think he's swell, people who think he's a bum, and lots of people who don't think about it much one way or the other.

But, alas, he stepped into that fetid pool combining politics and Internets commentary and got, well, the water splashed on him. So those who think well, and those who don't, again in teh Internets arena, do what they do, praising or disdaining as they are so inclined.

Okay, the guy made a scene about the clerk's office hours and wound up looking like more of a loon than, say, two percent of the posters here, but still, in county history this won't even be a footnote.

He's a guy. He's, like you people, not absent flaws (which I continue to point out and yet you still keep up with your ... whatever that is). Life goes on. No sense turning this into a fight between ducks to see which is the biggest in that fetid pond, besides, don't nobody want that stuff splashed on them.

Elmer Fudd
Elmer Fudd 06/09/14 - 09:59 pm
Igor

i still say drugs are bad.

defyn'gravity
defyn'gravity 06/10/14 - 09:58 am
"BAD" Personal Experience

I will have to agree with Grace123, when Mr Lessman was running for County Judge, which at that time he claims was "the most important job in the county", he came into my wifes place of business and told her that she and her co-workers needed to vote for him and that he was going to put a couple of signs up in the front and for her not to take them down. My wife then called me and told me about Mr Lessman's bulling type attitude and she felt very threatened which I then tried to contact him without success. I finally got in touch with one of his campaign staff and asked them very nicely to remove the signs. After a back and forth discussion why I wanted the signs removed he finally agreed to come and get the signs. No further contact was made. Before the 2014 May election I happened to sit near Mr Lessman at a public event, which was running for County Clerk, and was not very impressed with the arrogant attitude that he portrayed about going to win the upcoming election. I understand having confidence and hope but this was crossing the line. Again Mr Lessman claimed the County Clerk's job was the "most important job in the county." In my opinion there is no room or toleration for bullying in Faulkner County Politics and the public has proven that on two different occasions with Mr. Lessman.

Marvin Lessmann
Marvin Lessmann 06/11/14 - 09:35 am
Sorry you feel you had a "bad" experience

Sorry you feel you had a "bad" experience. I took the time to talk to several involved with our signs during the period in question and no one could remember anything as you described. I only remember one husband / wife disagreement where I was told by the wife (her business) that her husband took the sign down as his employer did work for the county and they "must" support the Democrat. In fact, I told her in no way do we want any politics to get between a husband and wife. We came by and picked up what was left of the sign.

I have tried to get businesses here to adopt a practice of putting signs out fairly and if they get pressure from one party to simply don't put any signs out or put signs out for all. People need to know who are running and learn about the issues.

Both of these positions are important positions. When given time I spoke on the duties of each and why each was important. To many trying to balance the power in the county the County Clerk's office is most important as much of the bookkeeping is done there and they are involved heavily in controlling the elecion process.