Vilonia Police Department stopping citizens without Probable Cause

On Saturday nite, 6/28/14, AROUND 11PM, my son was pulled over by the Vilonia Police Department. The reason he was given for being pulled over was to check the darkness of his window tinting.

About FOUR YEARS AGO, ALSO AROUND 11PM, my daughter was also pulled over and given the same reason.

The use of LOGIC dictates that this behaviour has been going on for the last four years. It is likely that this has been happening for even longer.

How much common sense does it take to understand that NOBODY can judge whether window tint is too dark, FROM A DISTANCE, AT 11PM, IN THE DARK OF NIGHT.

In my opinion, by virtue of common sense, THIS DOES NOT CONSTITUTE PROBABLE CAUSE FOR A TRAFFIC STOP.

This behavior is obviously FISHING for reasons to cite or arrest people.

By pulling people over for this reason, the VPD is violating our constitutional rights.

PLEASE SHARE THIS AND LET THE VPD KNOW THAT THEY CANNOT JUST PULL PEOPLE OVER SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY WANT TO. IF YOU OR ONE OF YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS HAVE BEEN SUBJECTED TO SIMILAR TREATMENT, PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE.

MESSAGE FOR Chief of Police BRAD MCNEW... I called you, four years ago, after my daughter was pulled over. I told you that this was not acceptable behaviour for a professional police department. I will now do anything in my ability to shine a light on this abuse of power. I WELCOME YOU TO RESPOND IN THIS OPEN FORUM.

READERS, PLEASE SHARE YOUR SIMILAR EXPERIENCES and help me shine a light on this abuse of power.

tmccoy72032
tmccoy72032 06/30/14 - 01:39 pm
READERS, PLEASE SHARE YOUR

mikeng1994 06/30/14 - 02:05 pm
VPD is nothing more than a

VPD is nothing more than a corrupt small town police force who think they can pull over and search anyone they want. Remember, you have the right to say no.

tracking wolf
tracking wolf 06/30/14 - 03:32 pm
I heard a couple years ago

I heard a couple years ago they pulled over a christian family in a minivan for speeding and had them and their children get out of the car so they could search for drugs. There was no cause for searching their car except a "fishing" expedition. After talking to a few people this is normal procedure for these guys and that is how the new guys are trained and if you disagree with it they will find another new guy to take your place on the force. (this came from a former Vilonia cop) Yeah they are as corrupt as they come but it comes from city hall down. Now that most people bypass Vilonia I am sure they will get worse because they need money.

onlymyopinion
onlymyopinion 07/16/14 - 01:00 pm
Money

They shouldn't need money, FEMA will take good care of them.

justoffcenter
justoffcenter 06/30/14 - 03:26 pm
VPD aka Small Town Thugs

tmccoy72032 my daughter was stopped 8 times in 6 weeks, twice in one night for bull like that. She refused to give consent to search, the thug said she couldn't refuse, removed her from her car and searched it anyway. She was stopped because her boy friend looked to young to be out that late at night!!!

She was issued a ticket for no turn signal before turning. Needless to say we took that to city court where it was dismissed before court after our lawyer had a sidebar with the judge. We moved her out of Vilonia that weekend and never go back.

VPD has always been that way and will continue to be that way, 8 cops for that size town (and the addition of the bypass) tickets are a must.

Brad is a joke.

ucantbserious
ucantbserious 06/30/14 - 03:39 pm
Hmm

I'm sure that must be aggravating but wouldn't your cause be better served by taking your complaints to someone with authority to address them? Vilonia police chief, Vilonia mayor, county government, state government, state police, etc. Heck, call the ACLU and let them loose.

Hashtag activism carries little weight IMHO.

mikeng1994 06/30/14 - 03:40 pm
I believe the above post said

I believe the above post said he did just that.

ucantbserious
ucantbserious 06/30/14 - 03:49 pm
Hmm

It said she called the police chief four years ago. There are plenty of other proper channels to pursue.

conwayville
conwayville 06/30/14 - 04:48 pm
November, 2011

Stopped OUTSIDE Vilonia city limits on 64 westbound. Officer said my license plate illumination lights were out. I saw them in the reflection of his windshield, they were BOTH on (dim due to worn lenses but they were on). Of course, later at night and the officer wanted to search. I agreed-I had/have nothing to hide. 40 minutes go by after officer peeking under carpet, inside everything, checking the spare tire and it's compartment, behind panels, etc. Found nothing. No citation was issued-and I know exactly why. Because there was NO reason to. If I had even gotten a written warning, I'd have had a hayday with it. I replaced the lenses the coming week. About 8 months later, coming through the city of Vilonia, officer stopped me (different officer than the previous stop) and said I was going 48 in the 45 mph zone. Again, search found nothing. Officer also mentioned that he did not see my seatbelt on as I passed the cruiser. It was on, however, that particular car for some reason, it's nearly impossible to actually see whether it's "on" or "off" unless the officer can clearly see the buckle. Again, no written warning. Nothing but wasted time.

I have since stopped going to vilonia, period. I don't even go around the bypass. I take a completely different route.

Just as Damascus and many other small towns, it's customary for the town to generate a large portion of their revenue by traffic citations.

LawMom
LawMom 06/30/14 - 05:47 pm
Vilonia PD

I have been fighting this department for years. No one in the media or anywhere else cares, until it happens to them or someone in their family. Those cops are bullies with badges. Always have been. And no use going to the mayor or anyone else. Their unconstitutional tactics generate revenue. So they're going to continue to get away with this. Criminal defense attorneys and our clients are the only ones who care.