You belong in a cop car

I ran across a few people this week that should be in the back of a cop car. (No, Keith Urban, not falling in love, just getting arrested.)

If you're following me on Twitter (@ConwayGirl) you saw that I requested special permission from the Conway Police Department to ticket skate boarders because they annoy me. (Either the Police Chief is still considering my request or he's filed me in his 'SHE'S CRAZY' file.) I'm willing to spend some of my personal time in hot pursuit of the skaters and clean up the streets. Quick question... can I bump them with my car or do I need to use a taser to stop them? We can work out the details when I get my permit.

The other people are the ones who are smoking pot in public.

Citizen's arrest! Citizen's arrest!

Let's not ignore the obvious, it's a controlled substance. Your personal feelings about it (you think it's harmless or the law is stupid or at least it's not ____) don't matter; the stuff is against the law.

Let's talk about how it's being used frequently, in public, out in the open, at our city parks and around. C'mon, that's where our kids play. I'm not saying that sitting in your parked car smoking a joint while your kid swings takes you out of the running for parent of the year, but I think you should assume you won't make the top 25.

If smoking dope is that important to you, move to the Rockies. I'll be sorry to see you go but that's life. In my opinion, smoking pot should be enough to get you arrested. I think sometimes it takes more than the act alone to get in trouble because policemen and jails are busy but you don't look cool or above the law; you look like a criminal.

lachowsj
lachowsj 03/21/14 - 02:07 pm
Move to the Rockies?

All of the behavior you describe is illegal under Colorado marijuana laws. Open public display or use of less than 2 oz. of marijuana is a petty offense subject to a fine of no more than $100 and incarceration of no more than 15 days. 2-6 oz. is a misdemeanor with fines of up to $1000 and one year in jail. Over 6 oz. makes the offender subject to up to $10,000 in fines and 18 months in prison.

Perhaps the policemen would have more time to devote to nuisance type crimes if they weren't raiding private homes to recover small amounts of marijuana.

As to skateboarders, perhaps you should consider a move to Hot Springs, where at least in 2007 police apparently did not take too kindly to them.

Rhonda Overbey
Rhonda Overbey 03/24/14 - 04:30 pm
Small amounts of marijuana... *smh*

I have a feeling that lachowsj and I may be on different sides of lots of issues. I'm sorry I didn't take the time to research how far off your porch you can be to smoke or toke or midnight joke in Colorado. I'm not sorry that I'd like skateboards off the sidewalks and tops of buildings in downtown.

Bad boy
Bad boy 03/25/14 - 05:59 am
God

We are not God. This world works on it's own with out us helping. What if I said I didn't like you working for the paper. What your feeling now is just how skateboarders feel when they read your comment. You may not care about how they feel. They don't you so you are even. Selfish is what some would call it.

Rhonda Overbey
Rhonda Overbey 03/25/14 - 08:21 am
Selfish skater hater

Bring on the unselfish skateboarders!
We have an opportunity for them to blog on thecabin.net and tell us all about how it feels to shred a rail that the costs the city money to repaint or grab some air on a jump into oncoming traffic.
I had no idea there was so much love out there for the skaters. Where do you live/work/play? Can they hang out with you?

mikeng1994 03/25/14 - 09:41 am
Rhonda, Rhonda, Ronda, didn't

Rhonda, Rhonda, Ronda, didn't you know that our hard earned tax payer money is just lying there waiting to make better hand rails, I mean skater ramps on our public buildings? We can only hope that the oncoming traffic is a bus.

And everyone wants our kids exposed to public drug abuse and have it readily available to them when they decide to become the anchor on society.

InsGuru
InsGuru 03/21/14 - 03:14 pm
....

"If you're following me on Twitter (@ConwayGirl) you saw that I requested special permission from the Conway Police Department to ticket skate boarders because they annoy me. (Either the Police Chief is still considering my request or he's filed me in his 'SHE'S CRAZY' file.) I'm willing to spend some of my personal time in hot pursuit of the skaters and clean up the streets. "

I hope that's sarcastic. Otherwise it's just ignorant. There are tons of things that annoy me.... People who chew with their mouth open, yep lets ticket them.

reader
reader 03/21/14 - 08:47 pm
You can get em in the cop car

but there is no room at the inn. Our jails are full and overflowing. More serious offenses should be focused on, and changing mandatory sentencing could free up some room. Give them a ticket (revenue) and keep a cell open for FC's more dangerous criminals.

If you want to smoke pot, lets sell them a license to do so, and tax the crap out of it. And PLEASE do it at home so Courtney can maintain her calm. FYI It's those who litter our streets I want a piece of!

ConwayDweller
ConwayDweller 03/24/14 - 02:20 pm
Oh, you dinosaurs

Let's quit wasting our law enforcement's time with frivolous and unwarranted requests re:skateboarders. Perhaps it's you that belongs in the back of a cop car, eh?

Rhonda Overbey
Rhonda Overbey 03/24/14 - 02:40 pm
Eh?

Agreed.

Budnmud
Budnmud 03/24/14 - 03:36 pm
Big ole Boy

Skateboard for big ole boys like me....