How Burl Ives ruined tea

Burl Ives

The voice of the snowman gliding around wearing a vest, pocket watch and carrying an umbrella. He was Mr. Holly Jolly Christmas.

Long after he was Big Daddy and tortured Elizabeth Taylor on screen in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and after he lent his voice to narrating Christmas cartoons, Burl Ives set his path to ruining tea for me.

For around twenty years, Burl was the pitchman for Luzianne Iced Tea. He convinced a whole generation that Southerners drank Luzianne, not Lipton, and his tea was specially brewed to go over ice. (I'm not making it into a big enough deal, because he was on TV when I was a kid - ALL. THE. TIME. Like 24/7, but before we used the term 24/7.)

What was it three or five years ago that tea started being the big thing again? Green tea happened and the cool kids were drinking it like it was Jim Jones's special jungle juice. Then there was white tea. Then there was 50 Shades of Grey and her special morning tea. I took a little longer to jump on the bandwagon but I've settled on black tea that tastes wonderful but costs TOO much because I'm used to paying Luzianne prices for tea.

Back to Burl Ives.

Since I've been drinking the specialty teas, I found that each bag (or tea sachet) cost 100x more than a single Luzianne tea bag, but tastes 1000x better. No research has led me to believe that at leaset 50% of those specially-brewed-for-iced-tea bags must be filler. Like sticks or ground up regular leaves, like Oak and Maple, but not real tea leaves.

The cheap tea tastes terrible now. And if Burl Ives hadn't been a smoker and killed all his taste buds, he'd probably agree and regret the two decades he spent ruining tea for me.

The End.

Elmer Fudd
Elmer Fudd 02/13/14 - 03:44 pm
I agree

the tea is not the best. However his Big Daddy role is as good a job of acting you will ever see. The casting in this case was right on.

Courtney Spradlin
Courtney Spradlin 02/13/14 - 03:59 pm
Angela needs to chime in

Angela needs to chime in here.
Her desk drawer is a black market trunk of assorted tea. She has a constant cup going.
Almost sure there's no tea she hasn't tried.

Angela Spencer
Angela Spencer 02/13/14 - 04:13 pm
Oh boy

I love tea. My grandmother drinks probably five cups of (hot) black tea with a little milk every day. English breakfast tea. She's the one who got me started.

I really like chai tea. It's currently my favorite. And — if it's available — I'll always go for loose leaf tea instead of the pre-bagged variety.

Every once in a while I'll get a cup of coffee, but I'm a weird journalist who prefers tea to coffee. Even at Starbucks I'll get a chai latte.

Courtney's right. I almost always have a cup of tea at my desk. Right now I've got a simple green tea with honey (yes, I even have the honey bear at my desk) to try and kick this pesky cough.

Rhonda Overbey
Rhonda Overbey 02/13/14 - 05:07 pm
Honey bear :-D sweeeeet

How long has it been since you've had a cup/glass of the big commercial tea brands. It's such a difference now that I've tried some of the good stuff!!!

lachowsj
lachowsj 02/14/14 - 07:52 am
Big Rock Candy Mountain

I thought Berl Ives drank from the soda water fountain and the lemonade springs.

As I write, I'm sipping from a pot of Clear Value Tea, 100 bags for just over $2. If I want to splurge I drink Good Earth Tea, a black tea with lots of tasty herbs and spices thrown in.

Rhonda Overbey
Rhonda Overbey 02/14/14 - 11:51 am
Don't get him confused with Pappy O'Daniel

That's Charles Durning who also played the Governor in Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. Two of the most memorable roles EVER!
Do you drink hot tea or do you prefer the Clear Value on ice?
I wish I could get a taste for the spiced tea varieties but I'm not there yet. I don't even like all the cinnamon in the chai lattes.

sevenof400
sevenof400 02/14/14 - 05:57 pm
Civility comes before tea....

...only in the alphabet.

A few years ago, I enjoyed Parker Brothers tea at Breakaway in Conway. That was excellent tea. Now I have to settle for Lipton.

Such is life.