Spelling is a basic life skill

I understand why cursive writing instruction is being taken out of the classroom - spend more time on math and sciences.

What about typing? More of a learned skill these days.

How about spelling? NBD because few people are required to spell things out like B4 in the olden days (10 years ago) because spelling is a P2C2E* and everyone is too BZ and the English language is 511.

Here's another basic missed opportunity...mail. The average young person doesn't know how to address an envelope. You think I'm J/K? Ask your young person to mail a letter or note card somewhere and prove me wrong. Do they even know how to fill out a check? Doubt it.

Top trending on Twitter today: #WhenISeeAObamaBumperSticker - You realize it should be AN Obama sticker? They can't even use their right of free speech without a grammatically incorrect hate #hashtag.

Am I just missing that these are basic life skills? I'm not talking about churning butter or shoeing horses; I'm talking about knowing that addresses are three lines and whether to use 'a' or 'an' in front of Obama.

*http://www.netlingo.com/word/p2c2e.php

Sarah Allen
Sarah Allen 05/21/13 - 03:50 pm
Love this!

I have noticed that my grammar has slightly declined in the past years. (No more term papers to write) Another trend I am seeing way too often -- their & there, here & hear, etc. being used incorrectly. I understand the occasional slip BUT, even if I do that, 9 times out of 10 I notice and correct myself when I go back over what ever it is I am writing.
Please don't judge my grammar too harshly in this reply about grammar! ha ha

Crystal Geraldson
Crystal Geraldson 05/21/13 - 04:23 pm
OMG. LOL!

IKR?! What's really bad, is that these are the same individuals hitting the workforce completely unprepared for the requirements and responsibilities before them. Sad...

Igor Rabinowitz
Igor Rabinowitz 05/22/13 - 08:05 am
You think that's bad

Try finding a decent waiter now days. You got people serving tables who have no idea what it's like to be in a restaurant that doesn't serve through a car window.

Mostly I want those kids off my lawn. It's my ball now.

BearFan4
1960
BearFan4 05/22/13 - 12:55 pm
All of the blame can't be put

All of the blame can't be put on the younger generation, especially in the case of ignorance. How are they supposed to know how to address an envelope properly if no one ever shows them how to do so, among other things? I honestly put more blame on the current parents and elders than I do on the children. If they had raised the younger generation better then we wouldn't have a lot of the issues that we have today when comparing to the "good ol' days".

Rhonda Overbey
Rhonda Overbey 05/22/13 - 01:39 pm
You can't blame them for not knowing what they don't know.

A lesson that's more true today than the first time I heard it and rolled my eyes, "You can't blame them for not knowing what they don't know."

BASIC knowledge and skills seems to be lost...like knowing you can't leave wet clothes in the washing machine without them mildewing; like knowing that interstates that end in zero (I-40, I-20) go east to west; like how and why it's important to change the filter in the air conditioning vent.

I blame parents too. (That was easy to do since I'm not one.)

Sarah Allen
Sarah Allen 05/23/13 - 11:59 am
Interstates

I learned something new. I can honestly say that I have never heard that in my life. My mom taught me directions such as, turn by the blue house with the big tree in the yard and then turn right by the store with the cute shoes...