• Syndicate content

Did Castle jump the shark?

When I get involved in a TV show, I'm commited. Like, I cancel other things in my life so I'll be able to watch the programs. My schedule was starting to get tight and I felt a little 'over-committed' to my television last year with Dancing with the Stars, Survivor, Big Brother, the entire Oprah Winfrey Network lineup, etc. This year, I cut it all out.

Well, all except one show...Castle.

Last night was the season finale and like what eventually happened on Moonlighting, the couple admitted they loved each other.

It'll take skilled writers to bring the characters back next season and still make it interesting. Of course, they could wake up from a dream. It's happened. I was there when they shot JR. I was there when Bobby Ewing was in the shower. I was there when The Fonz jumped the shark. And I'll be there when Castle and Beckett have to go back to the precinct.

DJB1971
DJB1971 05/08/12 - 09:55 am
Three little letters...

...DVR. ;-)

"When I get involved in a TV show, I'm commited. Like, I cancel other things in my life so I'll be able to watch the programs."

Rhonda Overbey
Rhonda Overbey 05/08/12 - 10:12 am
too many what ifs...

Too risky. I'm not comfortable using digital cable yet. I've had some training from Crystal at Conway Corp. but I'm not ready to chance that I could miss my favorite shows.

IDKM
IDKM 05/08/12 - 10:06 am
Castle........

can't wait for next season! Is it a dream, or will it be reality, or will it be that they can't handle the reality?

Impatiently waiting.

Rhonda Overbey
Rhonda Overbey 05/08/12 - 10:15 am
Impatient x 2

I know!! Plus, she resigned! How will they get her back on the force? Something happened when they started getting steamy that made me think he was dreaming...we'll have to wait and see.

David McCollum
2042
David McCollum 05/08/12 - 10:20 am
Here's the key. Now, they've

Here's the key. Now, they've got to get away from the Moonlighting template.

1. They have an ongoing complex mystery, which Moonlighting didn't have, that still has several layers.

2. Now, especially since Beckett has resigned from the force, they can shift more to a Nick and Nora ("Thin Man") template (before your time, Rhonda) in which two married detectives with use interaction and smart and clever banter between each other to solve mysteries. Nick and Nora were actually one of the prototypes for the male/female detective dynamic and became popular in the 1940s and 50s not only in books but movies and a TV show that I believed starred Peter Lawford.

3. Castle has some strong characters that can be developed further to add to dynamic. For example, his daughter is also moving on to a new stage in life and they've already paralleled part of her story with the romantic dynamic between Castle and Beckett.

Basically, you have to move to a new (and possibly richer dynamic) about the relationship while retaining the cleverness and the intrigue and tension of ongoing mysteries (going from jumping the shark to trying to find it).

It's tricky but I think the show has good enough writers to pull it off.

David McCollum
2042
David McCollum 05/08/12 - 10:22 am
By the way, I think making it

By the way, I think making it a dream would actually be Jumping the Shark.

Aaron Flowers
Aaron Flowers 05/08/12 - 10:39 am
Purdy tires are for sissy Rednecks

Duck Dynasty is a must see. "Purdy tires are for sissy Rednecks" - Uncle Si.

It's a purdy good show though oddly enough, not much Duck Hunting.

DJB1971
DJB1971 05/08/12 - 10:51 am
Best show on tv

Duck Dynasty is the best show on tv currently.

I also enjoy Auction Hunters.

Other than that, I'm either watching sports or doing something else.

DJB1971
DJB1971 05/08/12 - 11:12 am
Forgot to mention...

...my favorite quote from the show.

This was after they used explosives to "blow up" the dad's old duck blind.

Willie said, "If you want to take something away from a redneck, just blow it up. He'll be so enamored by the explosion that he'll forget about what he's losing."

Rhonda Overbey
Rhonda Overbey 05/09/12 - 08:00 am
DD is the buzz

I heard several people talking about Duck Dynasty but I haven't watched it yet. I'll try to work it in between Oprah's Lifeclasses :-)