The Narrow Road to Equality and Freedom

Equality to the right to marry is marching a narrow path this week in Arkansas.  Opponents are speaking up and doors are being shut, but a few have reached the light.

The calls of 'activist judge' are flying from the right.  Several counties which had been issuing licenses to LGBTQ folk have stopped for the time.  I understand Pulaski County is still issuing them although the news flow seems slow for these 5 minute 'news cycles' as they are called.  Senator Rapert says he has spoken to other legislators about impeaching the Honorable Judge Chris Piazza.  Having a little knowledge of Judge Pizza, I don't think he cares.  He ruled as he saw the law as it would be viewed through the constitutions of the state and nation.  I haven't heard any rulings from the SCOA.  We also have not seen a column or editorial from the LCD.

The fact remains as the county attorney said in another article, licenses issued from any county can be used to marry in any other county or city of their choice.  So those chosing to marry now, may still do so using this method.  The license must be returned to the issuing county with the proper documentation.

Melinda Reynolds has chosen not to issue licenses and as her affadvit stated there is no reason for the county to recognize marriages in general.  She missed her day to be a 'Rosa Parks' in Faulkner County history chosing another path she lawfully is bound to adhere to.   It is not a decision I admire but it is what it is.  Time will change the laws which block access to 'equality under the law', a right which is guaranteed by both state and national constitutions.

Through reading around it is also my understanding there is another law which specifically bars County Clerks from issuing licenses to same sex couples which was not addressed in Judge Piazza's ruling, which would also bar Ms. Reynolds from issuing licenses.  In her position as County Clerk, she is doubly barred from doing so.  Another hurdle to cross.  We'll get there.

So for now, equality under the law walks a narrow path in the Natural State, once know as "The Land of Opportunity".  I hope news breaks soon about appeals, etc.  We'll all be waiting.

UPDATED Weds May 14, 2014 17:20

Things are not looking good at this time for decisions passed by County Judges.  I learned today the Atkansas State Supreme Court reversed Judge Tim Fox's decision overturning the voter ID law citing his authority to do so.

reader
reader 05/13/14 - 11:33 am
Not much news flowing

but we're patient.

Elmer Fudd
Elmer Fudd 05/13/14 - 12:36 pm
Reader

in your case it is the Unnatural State.

reader
reader 05/13/14 - 12:41 pm
LOL

I enjoyed your ad hominem in joke form!

mikeng1994 05/13/14 - 01:20 pm
I said this on another post...

But if the law is struck down and gays everywhere unite, can we put an end to that annual parade?

reader
reader 05/13/14 - 03:53 pm
I would think

it will only grow larger and more diverse.

mikeng1994 05/14/14 - 08:29 am
More Diverse?

What do you want now? Straight people who do not agree with that lifestyle to march proudly arm in arm down main street? Its never gonna happen. And that just makes point that no matter how much the laws and the wills of the populace is perverted, the demands will never stop. The QBLT militias will just find some other trivial point that they feel they are oppressed by to rally against, just for the sake of being noticed. The fact is, nobody even cares if you form a union or what ever. If y'all would just act as everyone else, everyone would just live their own private lives just like we want to.

reader
reader 05/14/14 - 08:41 am
Mike, Mike, Mike

Equality in marriage is just one of the battles facing the LGBTQ community. Equality for women, equality for voting access, etc. are other issues facing the Civil Rights Movement.

In Arkansas, and many other states, for instance, it is still legal to discriminate against LGBTQ in housing, employment, and public accomodation, for a few things which still need correcting.

Straight people have been marching in our Pride Parade and thousands of Pride Parades around the United States for YEARS.

I do not have the time to list the myriad of issues facing Americans and equality.

InsGuru
InsGuru 05/14/14 - 08:46 am
YEA MIKE!

I know for a FACT a bunch of straight people marched in the Gun Pride Parade!!

mikeng1994 05/14/14 - 09:08 am
I respectfully disagree, the

I respectfully disagree, the gay community is too self serving to be concerned about anything except themselves and what they perceive as things they don't have. You, and I use "you" as all encompassing, interpret laws to say things they do not say. Just because Arkansas give the employer the right to hire and fire at will, does not mean they hate gays. it just means they can fire you without cause. They can do the same to me.

To my knowledge, anybody eligible to vote, has the credentials, and can make it to the polling station can cast a vote. They are not going to bring the machine to your house.

My wife works at a mortgage company, and I asked her if they can deny an application based on sexual preference. The answer is no.

And as for public accommodation, what does that mean? I see it that you want public acceptance, and that is something you will never get 100%. It is peoples right to disagree and not accept with the gay lifestyle. You can't make them love you.

For whatever reason the BLTQG's feel they have to be noticed. Why is this?

reader
reader 05/14/14 - 09:42 am
Thannks for the respectfully part,

I really do not have the time to break it all down but I'll make a short attempt.
By Public Accommodation, I am referring to the Title II of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which if you wish to understand, you can read about it here:

Your wife's employer does not discriminate against the LGBTQ company, and it is very admirable to do so. Many companies put this in their 'code of conduct' i.e.,
AT&T. Plus it protects them from any future litigation and makes them money as well.

Never the less, the laws of Arkansas and the U.S.Government, nor the constitutions of either, (or the aforementioned Civil Rights Act) currently protect members of the LGBTQ community from discrimination in any area, It is a fact in many states it is completely legal to discriminate against LGBTQ people. Some, mostly larger cities do out law it locally.

You will have to ask the folks you see as needing to be noticed your last question. I do not seek notice by anyone.