Perspectives

The path of life is strewn with personalities, places, events, histories and some things we like to never remember.  Holding your own 'rose colored glasses' at a distance and finding a new perspective can be one of those things which changes your life or then, maybe not.  I actually find it fun to look at things in a different perspective, sometimes follow the path less followed, and step back from the present in personal review.

A friend recently pointed out a sign which said "Road Unsafe When UnderWater". I guess from the general perspective it sounds ok, but are we concerned in that view with the road, or those who might cross it?

In recent years and other blog posts, I have made a point of my dislike for the phrase "Gay Rights".  I have never known of an American civil right which was gendered, excluding the last ten years of right wing attempts to blatently separate and exclude gay people from certain rights.  Many of those exclusions did not specifically exist before.  Still I stuck with my position, there are no 'gay rights' only 'equal rights' for all.  However, my position in many of those times, was specifically meant for the LGBTQ community.  Not in how they phrased it, but my defense of the LGBTQ community was lacking.  It did not follow the true meaning of the Civil Rights Movement of my youth.  Equality for ALL!  In looking at my own 'rose' glasses, I saw the reflection of someone who was discriminating in my position.  Not that I was against any group of people, it was the whole focus on LGBTQ issues which narrowed my view of civil rights.

I have changed my personal objective from advancing the equality of the LGBTQ community, to a broader focus on Equal Civil Rights for All People A-Z.

Learning.  Still fun at 58!

lachowsj
lachowsj 03/21/14 - 09:59 am
Like separation of church and state

To me, the concept of equal rights, equal access and equal consideration under the law parallels with the principle of separation of church and state. Many would justify discriminatory laws and practices against gays based on the tenants of their own religion. These people feel justified in this because they are defending what they see as a "higher law."

Jefferson famously argued against the imposition of an approved morality by the state over those who held different beliefs. He wrote, "I cannot give up my guidance to the magistrate; because he knows no more the way to heaven than I do & is less concerned to direct me right than I am to go right."

Reader, you are right in your quest for "Equal Rights for All People A-Z." Everyone should understand that if we allow for the trampling of gay rights we are clearing a path to endangering all civil rights.

reader
reader 03/21/14 - 08:39 pm
Equal rights for the LGBTQ community

are being definitely withheld on the basis of religious beliefs in many places, including Arkansas. So are the rights of so many. I want to see the rights of women, immigrants and all people protected in our civil law based society, even if it is not the religious beliefs of many or few.

Slavery is OK in the Bible, but not in civil law based society, like ours. In many places in the world, women are property, but not in our civil law based society.

If you wish to live by religious law, of any variety, you have the freedom to do so, as long as you do not interfere with the civil rights of other citizens in this civil law based society.

Equal rights for all citizens in an civil society.

InsGuru
InsGuru 03/24/14 - 09:33 am
Hmm

" I want to see the rights of women, immigrants and all people protected in our civil law based society, even if it is not the religious beliefs of many or few. "

Maybe you should start with 25-45 yr old college educated white males, they seem to be getting the shaft the most. (pun)

Equal rights for all, except the uneducated poor, BLTS, African-Americans, illegals in the country, etc etc.

Actually, now that I think about it, whites are the only person with equal rights, everyone else gets some sort of hand out, benefit, entitlement, or something for nothing. Orginizations just for them (NAACP, NAMBLA, etc etc), but if they aren't allowed in a "white" organization someone is a bigot or racist.

reader
reader 03/24/14 - 10:04 am
Your words

not mine. You may just be seeing your own narrow view in the mirror.

mikeng1994 03/24/14 - 12:24 pm
Maybe not your words, but

Maybe not your words, but true none the less.

Label anything "white" and it is immediately shot down by the courts as racist. There will never be a Miss White America for example. It is unfortunate the reasons why we have had to create these special groups. However nothing is getting solved by creating laws that favor one race or gender, or even orientation over another. That in itself is racist.

What we really need is strict enforcement and consistent interpretation of the laws we have and judges that are impartial instead of conservative or liberal. There is is no room in society for judges to make an "opinion". It should be "this is what the law says, did the person follow it". If the law is ambiguous, then send it to congress for change.

I really do believe it should be that simple. If a BLT wants to marry then let them, we don't need a law stopping it or allowing it. They will answer to God for that sin. I am good with that. Just don't tell me I have to accept it, like it, or agree with it.

ArkansasTraveler
ArkansasTraveler 03/21/14 - 10:21 am
Well, the only comment I can make is that

Skin color is not a matter of choice but immoral behavior is. In other words, the LBGT community has made a choice to exceed the limits of what should be normal and acceptable behavior. To have "homosexual impulses" is one thing; to act upon them is another. Once you act upon them you cross the threshold of things you cannot control to things you can.

BLUF: LBGT "rights" are not civil rights, never have been, and never should be..

justoffcenter
justoffcenter 03/21/14 - 10:49 am
Well, then Republicans are people too?

Now that is news. Been saying that for years.

Lachowsj, even the head BLT...Q said there is no such thing. Get off it.
How you take it or who you give it to is not a right, not sure why we have to go over and over that.

I do not deveate from design and have no desire to receive any extra treatment because I don't, why should the BLT...Q get any extra treatment (good or bad) from the government.

If the BLT...Q's want to have a legal union, I don't care. Go to a lawyer and draw up the paperwork, change the laws, whatever - I don't care. If it is the law, I am ok with that, just do something besides [filtered word].

mikeng1994 03/21/14 - 10:55 am
I agree with the point Reader

There should never be a race, gender, or orientation based "right". That said I would like to say that it seems many from the Gay community push for these specific rights all the time.

There is an old but true saying, "Less is more". So if all the LBGT extremists would just shut up and keep their personal lives to themselves, then the whole matter would eventually go unnoticed.

Traveler,, I am 100% behind what you are saying, except the impulses. Trying to be as PC as I can, if a person considers the act, that is just as wrong as committing the act.

ConwayDweller
ConwayDweller 03/24/14 - 02:08 pm
Wow

Yeah, all those women and interracial couples should have just shut up.. their rights would have worked themselves out, right? I can't decide if your logic is hilarious, or just sad.

mikeng1994 03/24/14 - 02:30 pm
Well

What ever one you pick, please don't confuse me with someone who gives a rat's putootie.

I stand by my comment and could care less what you think of it. We get these beliefs and personal choices shoved in our face, when nobody cares what they do in their own lives. I don't have to like it, agree with it, or support it. All i have to do is worry about my problems and those are none of your business either.