New to the Log Cabin

After a whirlwind move, a long nine-hour car ride with a wiggly puppy and several hours in Wal-Mart picking up the essentials, you can imagine how getting back in a newsroom has made me a happy journalist.

My name is Angela Spencer and I am the newest reporter at the Log Cabin Democrat. I will be working the city and county beat so you'll see me around town at meetings and chasing down stories.

A lot has changed for me in the past two weeks. Earlier this month, after coming to visit my in-laws and interview for jobs, my husband and I finally made the decision to make the move from Georgia to Arkansas.

We had just about 10 days to pack up our tiny apartment north of Atlanta and get everything a newlywed couple collects in their first year of marriage - including our mini Australian shepherd - into two cars, a truck and a trailer.

My husband grew up in Cabot, but I spent the majority of my life in Georgia with a four-year stay in Jackson, Tenn. for college. I recently worked at a group of weekly papers in Georgia for nearly two years and I'm excited about my new job at the Log Cabin Democrat.

My passion for journalism started in college, but it happened in a roundabout way. I was a theater major and I knew I would never change my course of study. All of a sudden I was in a photo class ... then on photo staff ... then a writer ... then eventually editor of our campus paper. Along the way I changed my major to journalism and have never looked back (well, I do miss the theater, but I love my chosen profession).

The move has been swift and I'm excited about jumping into Arkansas life. Traffic is better here (trust me) and I'm already looking forward to Toad Suck Daze, the farmers market and everything else this area has to offer.

GravelGertie 02/25/13 - 07:44 pm
Welcome!

Welcome, Ms. Spencer. I look forward to reading your articles, and I wish you all the luck with your new job and your new home. I hope you find us as friendly and as welcoming as we are capable of being when we are on our best behavior.

reader
20094
reader 02/25/13 - 09:24 pm
Welcome Angela

Don't forget to set your clocks back 20 years.

hawkeye
hawkeye 02/25/13 - 09:33 pm
Love it.

Love it.

Reaganesque
Reaganesque 02/26/13 - 06:27 am
Well.................

Don't forget to ignore nuts such as read!

Put an R next to your name, not a D.

i_wonder
i_wonder 02/25/13 - 10:44 pm
well

I'd love to go back 20 years, what's that?? about $10-$12 trillion less U.S. debt.

schultheis
schultheis 02/26/13 - 06:40 am
Welcome to Conway, or what us

Welcome to Conway, or what us folks who moved here from other places call, "Hell".

i_wonder
i_wonder 02/26/13 - 06:52 am
right

And you are kept here against your will.

Uh huh.

Allow me to CQ you..

The Two Travelers and the Farmer
North America
A traveler came upon an old farmer hoeing in his field beside the road. Eager to rest his feet, the wanderer hailed the countryman, who seemed happy enough to straighten his back and talk for a moment.
"What sort of people live in the next town?" asked the stranger.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer, answering the question with another question.

"They were a bad lot. Troublemakers all, and lazy too. The most selfish people in the world, and not a one of them to be trusted. I'm happy to be leaving the scoundrels."

"Is that so?" replied the old farmer. "Well, I'm afraid that you'll find the same sort in the next town.

Disappointed, the traveler trudged on his way, and the farmer returned to his work.

Some time later another stranger, coming from the same direction, hailed the farmer, and they stopped to talk. "What sort of people live in the next town?" he asked.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer once again.

"They were the best people in the world. Hard working, honest, and friendly. I'm sorry to be leaving them."

"Fear not," said the farmer. "You'll find the same sort in the next town."

crypted quill
crypted quill 02/26/13 - 07:07 am
Allow me to 'i wonder'

Allow me to 'i wonder' you...

What do you have against farmers?

Why (2) two travelers?

If (2) two travelers, which one is asking the wrong questions?

By saying the "next town" -- which direction are the (2) two travelers going...are they going opposite directions?

i_wonder
i_wonder 02/26/13 - 09:05 am
you'll have to forward your questions

See, since I copied and pasted that parable, it's not my original thought and you'll have to ask the author.

Like I said, I CQ'ed him.

crypted quill
crypted quill 02/26/13 - 09:55 am
Well.........at least you're

Well.........at least you're honest enough to admit you don't know what you're talking about.

There may be Hope & Change for you and your sweet T.E.A. party.